Advanced search

Deferral and placing requests (Scotland)

(9 Posts)
trixymalixy Sat 01-Jan-11 21:35:21

Does anyone know whether you have a placement request accepted and then decide to defer, do you get to keep the placement request place, or do you have to make another placement request the next year? IYSWIM

RipMacWinkle Sat 01-Jan-11 22:10:00

I spoke to a friend last year who did this in our area.

She said she was told to complete a placement request OR a deferral form and not both. However, I think there was a bit of a mix up and both got submitted. That's by the by.

This year, she has to complete the placement request again. I guess that makes sense as the school roll will be different year on year.

However, this is just anecdotal and of course, I'd confirm everything with the local authority.

trixymalixy Sat 01-Jan-11 23:07:59

Cheers, have to go and speak to the school next week. We're pretty decided we are deferring.

Was just wondering as from what I've been told you can hold off on deferral until the last minute, but placing requests are decided in march/april.

I guess it makes sense you have to make another request per school roll, it would just be interesting to see if we did get our request before deferring.

JoBettany Sun 02-Jan-11 00:25:42

If you are absolutely sure you are going to defer I think it would be a good idea to withdraw a placing request as it means you are holding up a place someone else could be waiting for.

The school would not hold it open for a year.

trixymalixy Wed 05-Jan-11 18:23:12

I was pretty sure we were going to defer, but have just spoken to nursery and they thought we shouldn't defer so now I'm in a total quandary about it all!! Aagh!!!

JoBettany Wed 05-Jan-11 18:33:49

That is a different kettle of fish! Hopefully they will be able to advise you. Of course, you don't have to follow their advice.

IME, deferring is usually the right choice - an extra year at nursery never harms.

bluejeans Wed 05-Jan-11 18:41:39

We deferred and I can recommend it. Not just for starting P1 but for going to high school later on too - DD is now in P6 and I am glad she's not going to high school this year. Some of the P7s just seem so much older than her! It's a difficult decision though and if you do defer, prepare to feel a pang in August when you see the other P1s in their uniforms!

At DD's school I'd say about 50% of Jan/Feb birthdays defer - there are P7s younger than my DD but she is not the oldest in P6 - if that makes sense (Feb birthday)

When is your DC's birthday?

We didn't have a placing request but I remember having to do all the same paperwork again for the second year so I guess you will too.


trixymalixy Wed 05-Jan-11 21:56:55

DS's birthday is at the end of January. I think he just seems so much younger than the other boys at nursery.

I'm still quite keen to defer because everything I have read seems to suggest it is best for little boys.

She was also very negative about placing requests saying that no-one got their placing request accepted to the school I am thinkngn of for DS, but I know that is rubbish as my neighbours child is in P1 there on a placing request. So I'm inclined to think she doesn't know what she's talking about.

RipMacWinkle Fri 07-Jan-11 13:28:42

I don't know anything about deferral as my DS has an Oct birthday but.... all the parents I know (have just counted in my head - six) who have a child with a Jan or Feb birthday have either already deferred or are about to.

Are the nursery saying about not deferring based on your DS i.e. his maturity, ability etc or just in general? Is it worth asking in at either your catchment school or planned (placement request) school to guage their feelings on younger children etc

sorry you're in this quandry. Hope you get it sorted out soon

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: