Talk

Advanced search

Is Cranmore that bad?

(19 Posts)
Fiddledee Wed 29-Dec-10 08:12:39

I have read lots of negative things about Cranmore on this site. I have only heard positive things about Lanesborough. It seems a no brainer to send DS to the Lanesborough but am I missing a trick? About to make appointment with both heads. DS very little so looking at starting at nursery at either of them - we are registered for both. It seems very early to know what he will be like. .

DD starting at one of the central Guildford schools in September and we looked at over 6 schools for her and it was obvious which one would suit her best but struggling with DS as he is so young.

camicaze Thu 30-Dec-10 21:38:32

I'm not that informed but don't want to leave your post unanswered. My impression was that Lanesborough was more desirable becasue it is viewed as a feeder to RGS while Cranmore is not so selective.
I know somneone very happy with her boys at Cranmore...

mummytime Fri 31-Dec-10 10:39:59

Cranmore has a bad reputation for bullying. Some parents happy and do not report any bullying, others very vocal and remove their sons early etc.
I wouldn't send my son there but others love it (for various reasons). Lots go to RGS, increasing numbers also hit a financial crisis and end up at the Howard or George Abbot (I guess some at the Catholic schools too).
It used to be nicknamed Cram- more, but I think that was in the olden days. Some people don't like the relatively new head's approach.

You have to decide on your gut instinct.

Fiddledee Fri 31-Dec-10 11:59:54

Thanks mummytime I am not keen on a survival of the fittest school for DS. Do you know more about the new heads approach he seems very pushy and go getting but have not met him one-to-one yet. I will ask about the bullying, I thought it was meant to have got better under the new head.

mlm2029 Thu 16-Jun-11 19:36:21

What have you decided?

Fiddledee Thu 16-Jun-11 19:46:16

Still undecided but have heard lots of positive stuff about Cranmore and I've visited it again.

I will visit Lanesborough a second time in the autumn too and as poor DS will be "assessed" in January for nursery at Lanesborough its not cetain he will get a place so the choice may not be up to me.

Why your interest mlm2029?

mlm2029 Thu 16-Jun-11 20:25:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fiddledee Thu 16-Jun-11 20:57:08

Thanks mlm for the feedback, its the same story I have heard from another mother. Have heard positive stuff from parents with children at the school.

What sort of bullying happens at such a young age? It beggers belief that they allow this.

We now live close to the school although the Lanesborough is near my DD's school - Aldro I've heard good things but distance wise not an option for us.

Happymum22 Fri 17-Jun-11 17:10:33

I had a son at lanesborough and know friends with boys there now- only heard fab things, so really hope your DS gets in. My son had a fab time- was really known and alued (not sporty or extremely gifted- they just valued individuals) and excellent prep for rgs. Only reasons I've heard of boys leaving is financial, relocating from surrey or if they are found to havebad learning difficulties they go off to moon hall school for a few years and then come back.

Cranmore- big, bullying, survival of fittest, some boys do well, others drown, i feel something a bit odd about it- but thats just me opinion. Would never send my son there.
What about glenesk if you live that way- although you'd have to change at 7.

Fiddledee Fri 17-Jun-11 17:46:33

Thanks Happymum I have heard only glowing reports about the Lanesborough and its now the first choice so lets hope he gets in - have heard that nursery is not oversubcribed every year but it was last year so a bit nervous. DS very young but difficult to say what he will be like but bullying is a big no. DD's school in town so Lanesborough far better for pick up/drop offs.

Heard mixed reports about Glenesk from neighbours - many not that happy with it.

Happymum22 Fri 17-Jun-11 22:48:05

Dont worry if dont want to say but think i remember you from another thread fiddledee- is your DD off to GHS? my 3 girls went/are there- fab choice!
Oh fair enough about glenesk. There isnt a huge choice of boys schools around here- a lot more for girls.

Happymum22 Fri 17-Jun-11 22:49:29

PS my sons now at med school having been through RGS- so my lanesborough opinions are v old! but from all ive heard its jsut got better and better. Same with GHS..

Fiddledee Sat 18-Jun-11 08:29:34

Thanks Happymum yes you have correctly identified me! Glad that your children have done so well. Bumped into some Lanesborough mums yesterday and learnt alot more about the school and set aside some of my concerns.

pufflehead Wed 22-Feb-12 15:45:11

I have a child at Cranmore. Was concerned several years ago that it was a more disciplined environment than I was looking for but from my experience it is a very nurturing school. I can only speak for the class my child is in but have been hugely impressed at how the children are encouraged to look after each other, and how enthusiastic they are about learning. We also looked at Lanesborough, and have been very impressed by the boys I know who go there. Nice well rounded chaps. There are some quite interesting and impressive schools just outside Guildford such as Longacre and Barrow Hills. Good luck in your deliberations.

BabyPinecone Thu 13-Mar-14 13:12:17

Hi I just wanted to say I visited Cranmore yesterday and thought it was amazing!!

Green grass for miles, and any sport or subject you might like your child to learn was available, friendly happy staff, friendly happy kids. So much space it was wonderful. Swimming pool on site. Actually I was really blown away by this school. The class rooms were colourful and bright. A lot of thought had gone into the play grounds and giving the little ones their own space. I find it hard to believe that the parents or the staff there would let bullying happen without serous consequences.

My son spent the day there and came out saying he did not want to leave!

I wish a mum who's child actually goes there would write a comment on this thread so we could have their insight.

Galena Thu 13-Mar-14 17:35:53

This thread is 2 years old...

SuJoh Sat 22-Mar-14 21:37:51

This thread is very old but there are new questions about Cranmore. My son has been there for almost two years and absolutely loves it. He can't wait to get there every school morning and comes out grinning (and spent) at the end of the afternoon.

Chief concerns on the threads here seem to be about bullying and pastoring. We have had one incident of the former (last year), which his class teacher dealt with speedily and decisively, and have found the school to be simply brilliant at encouraging and caring for our son.

We are a bit frenetic and disorganised as a family...so it's really encouraging to see how the school is helping him to develop his independence and organisational skills. I love the coaching approach the staff team take in both academics and sport, encouraging the boys to participate, expecting and coaxing the best from them.

Clearly Cranmore (as any school) won't suit every boy or every parent. I think that if you do your research and visit with an open mind, you and your boy will know whether it's right for you. Other people's opinions may be interesting, but are by their very nature highly subjective and sometimes defensive...so best taken with a pinch of salt. For goodness' sake don't let an online whinge put you off having a good look at the school, it's good.

weetabixed Sun 23-Mar-14 10:52:18

I think to dismiss other's opinions as an 'online whinge' is unfair, every person looking at these threads has come here precisely because they want opinions - good bad and ugly - on a difficult choice, and most are sensible enough to know that it's a different school for a different child. I am sure you would not want your opinions described as 'online spin'!

I haven't detailed our experience of this school (and have now nc'ed) as I know it is shaped by my thoughts about how I want my ds educated and my ds's personality. It didn't suit - 'expecting and coaxing the best' we realised over time, was at the expense of self esteem (for him). I ignored opinions about the need to be 'robust' and now feel the underlying approach - outdated in my view - to boys education wasn't for us. It's really made me think about what sort of world boys enter into and what I want for my son...

mummytime Sun 23-Mar-14 11:35:18

This thread was started four years ago. 4 years is a long time for a Prep or primary school.

Actually my reservations would be somewhat different to those I expressed four years ago.

If you want an up to date opinion then start a new thread.

But please do not judge any school just by one visit. No one has even denied that Cranmore has lovely Green surroundings and great facilities.

Even if you don't like the comments here they could form the basis of questions to investigate about the school. My questions would be "How do you respond to bullying?" "What are the current destinations at 11+ and 13+?" "How many new boys do you get at 11+" "How do you foresee the destinations changing?"

And always remember no school is the perfect one for every child (even Winchester or what ever the "top" MN school is at present).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now