Talk

Advanced search

Primary schools in Harrogate

(9 Posts)
bountygirl Mon 27-Dec-10 21:04:17

I am looking to move to Harrogate and really need some advice on the good primary schools/nice areas there.
Does anyone have any knowledge that may help me?
All help gratefully received!

RupertTheBear Mon 27-Dec-10 21:09:10

I live in Harrogate - to be honest most of the schools are good. PM me if you want to ask about specific schools!

chickbean Thu 30-Dec-10 23:14:07

I agree with RupertTheBear, Harrogate is lucky to have good schools - I have never come across a parent who isn't happy with the school that their child goes to (even the ones who didn't get their first choice school). I co-ordinate the Netmums meet-ups in Harrogate, so can probably put you in touch with people from quite a wide range of schools.

confusedeasterbunny Fri 31-Dec-10 16:37:14

Secondary schools are really the issue .Try and get in the catchmant for Harrogate Grammar

chickbean Fri 31-Dec-10 20:54:26

Again, I think that, compared to lots of places, even the secondary schools are good -Harrogate Grammar and St. Aidan's have always been the most highly regarded. However, I know people who wanted Harrogate Grammar but got Rossett - they are really pleased with Rossett and feel that it suits their child better. To get into St Aidans you have to go to church regularly to be considered. Harrogate High seems to be getting good reports too (I have to say that I went to Harrogate High many years ago, when its reputation was plummeting, and I still ended up at a very good university smile).

P.S. Harrogate "Grammar" isn't actually a grammar school any more, so there's no 11 plus requirement.

RupertTheBear Fri 31-Dec-10 21:11:28

I agree about high schools. I live just down the road from st aidens but won't get my kids in there cos we don't go to church. Harrogate high is looked down on but I believe it is on the up. My children will probably end up there

chickbean Sat 01-Jan-11 11:29:28

Hi Rupert - we're probably neighbours - I live near St. Aidan's too. Would love my children to go there but not big church goers at the moment - could have gone there myself as I was in the church choir and everything, but I didn't want to then!

harragirl Sun 02-Jan-11 20:08:00

We must all be fairly close by - I live near St Aidens too! I went to John Fisher, but we don't go to church so despite being on doorstep for both, my son won't be going to either ... very annoying! No real bad schools round here though.

chickbean Mon 03-Jan-11 14:23:30

I didn't realise I lived in a hotbed of MNers - will be scrutinising everyone I meet and wondering.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: