Talk

Advanced search

How do your school mark the end for year 6 kids. Do you have a Prom?

(34 Posts)
drosophila Tue 21-Dec-10 12:38:58

Looking for ideas. SOmething low key...

mrz Tue 21-Dec-10 15:41:35

We have had a "prom" for the past 4 or 5 years hmm but last year only a handful of children wanted to attend so this year we are thinking about an adventure day - climbing wall type activities

Hulababy Tue 21-Dec-10 15:44:25

There is a summer BBQ for the leaver's at DD's school. It's a small school, so only 15 or so in the class. They usually arrange a day out as a big group with parents too.

DontLetTinselDragOnTheFloor Tue 21-Dec-10 15:45:52

Ours have a Leavers Disco, organised yb a group of the mothers from that year. Its in a local church hall, low key, no limos. DS1 had a fabulous time at his in July.

drosophila Tue 21-Dec-10 15:50:31

thanks...

spanieleyes Tue 21-Dec-10 18:40:01

We have only 12 yr 6's this year ( and 10 boys, 2 girls!) We have a disco but the whole school can come. The yr 6's however wear "posh" frocks and have an outdoor gazebo as their "room" where they are fed snacks and cocktails! In addition, I arrange a day out for them-boat ride, meal out and shopping last year ( when we had 8 girls and 3 boys) maybe laserstorm this year!

Clary Tue 21-Dec-10 23:17:30

Our school does a play featuring all the year and then a leavers' do - usually a disco and barbecue or similar.

Thank the lord not a prom! Tho a lot of people had limos this year (not DS1 tho)

LoopyLoopsOfSparklyFairyLights Tue 21-Dec-10 23:19:21

Please don't call it a "prom".

panettoinydog Tue 21-Dec-10 23:20:40

A prom is a horrible idea.

The best idea I have come across is just a fun day out. A good one I went to was to a safari park that also had a zipwire, pedaloes, adventure playground, small amusement arcade. All loved it.

10 and 11 year olds usually hate dancing with each other so I don't see the point in holding a formal(ish) Dance.

mrz Wed 22-Dec-10 08:55:53

I'm pleased it isn't just me who hates the whole "prom" thing ... really makes me cringe

sinpan Wed 22-Dec-10 08:59:13

Disco and play here too I love the idea of an adventure day

DontLetTinselDragOnTheFloor Wed 22-Dec-10 09:00:53

DSs Y6 did a play to parents and the whole school, went on a week residential trip to the Isle of Wight, had an Achievement Evening and went on a day trip to an activity centre on the very last day of term.

The Leavers Disco i mentioned was the only thing organised by parents though. Oh, and a huge group went for fish and chips in the local park after the end of term trip.

HSMM Wed 22-Dec-10 09:11:02

Ours went out boating on the river for a school day with their teachers. Had a great day. All came home soaked. Last day of term, it was suggested that they brought water pistols into school (and you can picture the rest).

hippipotamiHasLost92lbs Wed 22-Dec-10 10:51:33

We have a BBQ and swimming session early evening for the Year 6 (the school have their own outdoor pool). After this they go into the main hall for a whole-school disco.

ilove Wed 22-Dec-10 10:53:29

My son started Y7 in Sept just gone. In July I hosted a Leavers BBQ for them all - I had 58 - yes, fifty eight eleven year olds here.

It was fab!

drosophila Thu 23-Dec-10 22:45:43

Glad I am not the only one who is uncomfortable with a prom!!!

Feenie Fri 24-Dec-10 00:16:38

Christ, I am so glad we don't have a prom. We do an end of term production with a presentation of tshirts they spend the day getting signed and another present, like a dictionary or something.

mrz Fri 24-Dec-10 14:59:46

We also have a Leaver's Assembly where Y6's can show off their talents and all the children sing and recite. We have a special award (voted by staff) for the boy and girl who have contributed most during their school career. Everyone gets a thesaurus from the friend's of the school.

schoolchauffeur Fri 24-Dec-10 20:52:54

The school association hosts a ceilidh and the leavers have a "top table" where they get their snacks/drinks served - parents and anyone else comes along too and bring own food and booze. The year group teacher makes a short speech commenting on each child(lots of "in jokes") and each child comes up and receives a small gift- photo album/school memory book etc. Some of the girls dress up- boys wear kilts, parents wear what they want. Definitely no limos, ball gowns, fake tans etc- dead relaxed and everyone enjoys it! Think they charge about a fiver a ticket for adults.

CantThinkofFunnyName Fri 24-Dec-10 20:56:04

We do something for each y6. This past year it was my sons turn. I put a number of suggestions to the parents at a meeting, everyone voted and the parents paid. PTA put 300 quid towards a year book. We did 2 hummer limos into London, meal at planet Hollywood and then a trip on the London eye then back home in the limos. Was fab. Cost 35 quid ph.

PixieOnaLeaf Fri 24-Dec-10 21:00:21

Message withdrawn

CarolSinger Sun 26-Dec-10 10:41:12

The school had a fun day - they had a company come in with a climbing wall and did archery and cricket.

The PTA organised a prom disco - but as there were only 15 Y6's and they have mixed classes Y5s were invited too.

ragged Sun 26-Dec-10 11:00:39

Disco very passe. They either go bowling or have a swimming pool party.

MrsGuyOfChristmasBorn Sun 26-Dec-10 11:13:39

6 weeks of non stop events - totally over the top. Class reps circulated a list of events at the beiggning of last term (fshock] that parents are supposed to drop all their other commitments and jump thru hoops for hmm Love the idea of water pistols as suggested below - that would be the best possible end to the year - let the kids make their own fun!

singersgirl Sun 26-Dec-10 12:40:30

Ours had the major Y6 production which takes hours of rehearsals, a Y6 barbecue organised by staff, 5 days in a residential activity camp, a leavers' concert and a leavers' disco at a local sports club, organised by parents (no limos, though).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now