Talk

Advanced search

Would this concern you?

(15 Posts)
NorhamGardens Mon 20-Dec-10 10:34:24

Just to say I wrote this post originally:

When DC's level in Y2 is assessed I've noticed they look for indications the criteria have been met for moving for from a level 2C to a 2B for example.

Question is what if a 2C in reading is actually a level 3 for example, can ability that exceeds the criteria for the next jump ever be missed?

If you are being assessed for the next 'stage' can a surge in ability be ever overlooked?

Thanks v much for the tips. I appreciated them, interesting to note the points about developing writing.

To recap DC is in a state primary in Oxfordshire, 30 pupils in the class and an accomplished, excellent teacher who I like and trust. Have to say they are very committed too.

Update:

Went in to speak to the teacher who agreed that DC is above a 2C and would move him to next band which automatically means level 2B next term. Then I discovered that DC has been on that particular book band (she mentioned she was moving him up to) since September, I told her and it seems that this was never logged & this was a mistake. She thought he was level 6 ORT or so, although has done individual reading at a book band and levels above since September. He can read level 12 treetops, for example, with 100% accuracy, good expression and good inference/comprehension. Teacher had noted his good reading in the parent/home book too.

It will be resolved but I am increasingly convinced he is level 2A or perhaps even above, it seems this has been missed though. I go in regularly to help with the class reading and found that the most able readers in the class are in my opinion weaker than my DC. It's hard to be objective but I am not one that believes my kids are brilliant, DC has weak areas and strengths and weaknesses like anyone else.

Am sure that things will be sorted going forward and am reassured by previous replies that this isn't important really. But can't help being a little worried? Particularly as this DC has a bit of a history of being underestimated.

NorhamGardens Mon 20-Dec-10 10:37:16

Just to thank Lovecheese personally for the previous details, I am sure you've help lots of us put our minds to rest a little. .

IndigoBell Mon 20-Dec-10 10:53:08

Are you concerned the teacher assessment of his reading is wrong?

Or are you concerned that he's bringing home the wrong books?

Or are you concerned that his reading is not being heard by the teacher?

And why are you concerned? Do you think the work he's being given in class is too easy? Do you think he's on the wrong ability table? What do you want to be different?

NorhamGardens Mon 20-Dec-10 11:05:42

I suppose I am concerned that he has been underestimated and wondering why?

The book band the teacher was going to promote him to is the one he has been on for 3 months plus and was giving zero challenge any longer. The previous book band had books with a a few lines a page, this for a child that reads long books suitable for 9-10 year olds sometimes at home and understands them.

My anxiety stems from the fact the teacher thought that he was just ready to move from the 3/4 lines a page stage up to one he has been comfortable at for months now. The facts are he is ready for another jump, beyond the intended level he was going to move up to.

Also interested that a certain book band seems to mean a certain reading KS1 level regardless in our school. That's what makes me think the system operates like a conveyor belt, where the child that starts ahead is likely going to stay ahead. These are where my worries lie.

But this said I do trust the teacher and am encouraged none of this matters going forward?

lovecheese Mon 20-Dec-10 11:16:37

NG, hello, and thankyou for your comment smile.

I really don't think that the teacher will somehow "underestimate" your DC's ability, although the fact that he/she seems to have got his current level confused is probably a bit stressful for you.

Am I right in thinking that you want your son to be a level 3 in his SATs and that this is the real reason for your anxiety? Sorry to be blunt, but that is how I see it. As I said before, relax about it, I used to get myself in a right old Tiswas and have now realised that reading for pleasure is the long-term goal, not to be the first to finish the reading scheme.

IndigoBell Mon 20-Dec-10 11:17:15

Normal thing to do in this situation is write in his reading diary

'Johnny really enjoyed reading Harry Potter last night'

and just lay it on extra thick in his reading diary till they get the picture....

Or else just flat out say / write 'I feel the books he's bringing home are too easy for him, could you please re-assess him?'

Odds are they'll assess his reading at the beginning of the term anyway....

lovecheese Mon 20-Dec-10 11:18:50

Plus May is still a long way off.

NorhamGardens Mon 20-Dec-10 11:27:42

You are right, LC. We will be moving to Bucks And thinking if we need to appeal or any borderline situation in the future as much as anything else.

I have been writing in the reading diary and was thrilled when I thought that next level had been reached and wrote accordingly, except it hadn't it seems... With so many in the class I don't think the teacher has time to give it more than a cursory glance.

It's an area of strength for him, possibly his strongest. He doesn't feel it, feels lagging behind the others, and is starting not to believe and lose confidence. Kids are very competitive it seems about these bands despite best attempt of teacher and parents not to notice.

Good news is teacher is strong, despite large class and DC enjoys reading for pleasure. We have a house that is filled to the rafters with books & family all model reading & it's a real joy to us. .

Am sure things will all work out and thanks again

lovecheese Mon 20-Dec-10 11:39:50

"DC enjoys reading for pleasure. We have a house that is filled to the rafters with books &reading is a real joy to us."

Nuff said NG smile

ragged Mon 20-Dec-10 11:52:10

Sounds a bit like micro-managing, tbh.
What do you mean "appeal", appeal for what?
If you want your child to have harder reading books then ask for harder reading books, no?

Panzee Mon 20-Dec-10 11:54:19

Levels only exist as a stick with which to beat teachers. Relax.

NorhamGardens Mon 20-Dec-10 12:00:32

Ragged, believe it or not they do sometimes look at KS1 levels/take them into consideration for borderline 11 plus failure cases.

I wasn't worried about DC being given harder books as such. More about the wrong KS1 level being assigned and any resulting under estimation going forward/ niggles as explained. Am feeling reassured that all will be well .

ragged Mon 20-Dec-10 12:04:38

Oh fair enough, I don't know anything about 11+. That must be an enormous pressure.

Ability groups should be flexible, they shouldn't get assigned for life or even for a whole school year, ability groups -- where streaming occurs -- should be reviewed every term at a minimum. Alternatively some schools don't assign ability groups at all in setting work and standards expected (see MRZ's posts about that in practice). Either way, the ability levels in his record now shouldn't matter that much.

Panzee Mon 20-Dec-10 12:16:44

Oh apologies, I don't know anything about 11+.

NorhamGardens Mon 20-Dec-10 12:17:57

Indeed, Ragged but hopefully not as bad as I fear.

No problem with ability groups, so far so good. I've seen that some schools seem to have v rigid systems in place though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: