Talk

Advanced search

School recommendations please!

(27 Posts)
kate2607 Wed 15-Dec-10 18:37:16

Hello! I am new to this so please be patient with me. We have just (today) pulled my son out of school after years of bullying and torment at his very pushy, all boys private school in Surrey. His confidence is in tatters! He is 7 1/2 in year 3. He has recently been diagnosed with mild Aspergers and has some problems with attention. I am desperately trying to find a small, co-ed, nurturing school for next year that has staff who are switched on and imaginative when it comes to teaching. Area is Surrey - Guildford, Cobham, Dorking but willing to travel. I was hoping someone out there would have a suggestion (or two). Thanks.

RoadArt Wed 15-Dec-10 18:49:35

Might be worth contacting the LEA to see where there are vacancies. You havent got much time left to sort to speak to the schools before the term ends.

mummytime Wed 15-Dec-10 18:52:23

Where do you live? I would say do look at places like Holy Trinity Pewley Down in Guildford, which are used to Aspergers kids. Was he at a school starting with C btw? (nosyemotecon).

Good luck!

kate2607 Wed 15-Dec-10 18:52:43

I'm sorry, what is the LEA? We have decided he won't go back next term anyway. he is much better off at home until we find the right place.

kate2607 Wed 15-Dec-10 18:54:55

Yes mummytime he was at a school starting with a C! Not surprised that it has something of a reputation. The advice they gave us was to 'make him less different'. angry Took over a year to convince deranged XH to agree to him leaving.

LIZS Wed 15-Dec-10 19:04:11

Surrey County Council is the LA. Their Education dept should keep track of schools with spaces and have an inclusion/sen officer who may be able to advise you. If you look at the SCC website they have pages for primary school admissions including the application booklet for all LA funded primary schools (procedure not relevant to in-year admissions but useful info) showing the names and addresses and capacity of each school. There is also a page outlining how to go about applying for a place mid year. Good luck.

Rivvy Wed 15-Dec-10 19:22:54

Belmont school near Dorking?

It's linked to Moon Hall a dyslexic school. The schools work closely together so the school is used to working with children that need a bit more help etc.

I have heard good things about how 'different' children fit in.

Fiddledee Wed 15-Dec-10 19:50:15

A friend had a similar situation she rang the consultants at the Good Schools Guide who didn't even charge her as their was an obvious choice for her son in her area. Belmonts sounds like a good idea have a friend with a DD there and its very nuturing definitely worth a look. Longacre in Shamley Green - too far?

Oh dear we are seriously considering the C school although DH prefers the L school even though C school nearby, ho hum...

Fiddledee Wed 15-Dec-10 19:55:17

Barrow Hills too far I presume?

Fiddledee Wed 15-Dec-10 20:19:32

Ripley Court?

kate2607 Wed 15-Dec-10 20:50:35

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

Rivvy Wed 15-Dec-10 21:01:48

If you're around that area Duke of Kent might be worth a look, don't know much about it though.

kate2607 Wed 15-Dec-10 21:03:03

Thanks Rivvy!

Silverstreet Wed 15-Dec-10 21:47:55

Kate - I would look at state schools, as well as Belmont which I have also heard good things about. My experience is that the schools have a better idea of current spaces (and spaces that are coming up) than SCC so I would ring round the schools themselves. Then you can call SCC if you find one you like with a space. In the area you are talking about there are lots of really good state primary schools and most will have had experience of Aspergers, whereas the private schools often haven't. They are also used to educating children with a wider range of abilities.

Fiddledee Wed 15-Dec-10 21:58:12

Thanks Kate DS very little but probably academic and sporty but a gentle soul, not as outgoing as his sister and probably needs a more nuturing place than C but C is so convenient and facilities so impressive.

Would think Belmonts would be the most obvious choice but give the Good Schools Guide people a ring too they are good.

kate2607 Wed 15-Dec-10 22:03:50

Fiddledee - my younger DS is staying on at C although that is not my choice. He is very outgoing however! Facilities are impressive but they count for very little at the end of the day - there are a couple of outstanding teachers but the ethos is incredibly competitive and if he's a 'gentle soul' I would seriously consider other options. It is going to take a very long time for us to build up older DS's confidence again and he's not the only one. They do talk a good game though....

kate2607 Wed 15-Dec-10 22:04:45

Thanks Silverstreet - I really worry about the larger class sizes at a state school though - particularly given his problems with attention???

mummytime Wed 15-Dec-10 23:21:32

Belmont is good, but.... not so good for Aspergers kids. Or wasn't about 5 years ago, a neighbour's son ended up moving to a State school for a year or two, then on to private secondary. (Moon Hall is a dyslexic school which doesn't want to deal with ASD kids).
I would also look at the best State schools, as you can then get the LEA (Surrey CC) to do the assessments etc, before making a good choice on secondaries. Some schools do regularly feed into private secondaries, and even have private school teachers as parents.

I had hoped C had improved, I did use to say if it was the last school on earth my son wouldn't go there (he would have had the most awful time).

captainpig Wed 15-Dec-10 23:26:29

Asperger specific school Unsted Park in Godalming?

captainpig Wed 15-Dec-10 23:28:55

Oh sorry, just re-read, although Unsted Park is co-ed, when I viewed there were probably only 1 or 2 girls there.

kate2607 Thu 16-Dec-10 09:10:49

Any ideas on state schools then mummytime? To be honest I think C has got worse. When DS started 3 years ago it wasn't so bad but new head and head of Junior both very ambitious, younger DS came home with homework on day 1 of reception!!!!!!

Jojocat Thu 16-Dec-10 13:01:15

I would look at Longacre or Burys Court (Leigh) for private options.

Also look at state schools. There are several very good state primaries not far from you.

Silverstreet Thu 16-Dec-10 22:30:37

Kate. My DD had a boy in her class with Aspergers when she was at the Raleigh (West Horsley), and he had a special needs assistant who helped him enormously. He vastly improved over his time there and was well integrated in the class. I would agree your DS needs to be in a mixed school, this boys friends were mostly girls as they were much more understanding of his needs. Worth talking to them however I am pretty sure year 3 is a big year for them - but things often change. Regardless of whether they have room I think you should not be put off by class size in a good state primary, once he is statemented they will get additional funding for him for a special needs assistant for him, which it sounds like you were not getting privately. They will also have things like focus groups for social skills etc, which many private schools will not do. If you think it is worth considering, also think about starting the groundwork to get a statement now to speed this along.

thegoatgirl Sun 06-Mar-11 10:12:24

Have a look at Longacre, it's a very nurturing school and has experience with Aspergers. Don't get me started on C school!

Lonnie Sun 06-Mar-11 19:01:24

I have said it before on here but will again

Kingswood House in Epsom www.kingswoodhouse.org/

nurturing and able to deal with issues in childrens heavilly into getting the boys to move around and do lots of activities with them. fab school I wish all schools were like that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now