Talk

Advanced search

Thought DD was an anti-social genius...

(32 Posts)
ShanahansRevenge Tue 14-Dec-10 21:28:19

She's not. Just had her report...she's 6 in year 2.

She is a hard worker..doing her best but struggling to join up her writing and when she does the formation of it lacks maturity.

Her knowledge of her number bonds were weak but she has worked hard to improve and still needs supposrt to apply them.

She found completing tasks hard at first in this the 1st term of year 2...as she would get distracted but this is improving and she is growing in confidence...reading is very much improved and she is now fluent.

I thought she was really smart! Her report goes on to say how delightful and artistic and hard working she is..as well as kind and popular.

WHAT!?? Where is my genius?

Will she get any better academically or always struggle?

She's at a private prep...(not selective)

ShanahansRevenge Tue 14-Dec-10 21:29:49

What I meant in my title was that I always assumed she was bright because she was so rticulate...but she was very anti-social..now it seems the opposite it true.

magicmummy1 Tue 14-Dec-10 22:14:14

Sounds like she is doing fine to me! grin

activate Tue 14-Dec-10 22:16:30

She is 6

you're being a fool (meant nicely)

she's 6

she should be eating plasticene and cutting off her hair

and you're worried about her academic abilities

FGS

(the answer is yes, children develop at different rates and not in a linear fashion so a super-academic 6 year old can be an average 9 year old and vice-versa - and you don't want to even think about what happens to them around puberty)

Goblinchild Tue 14-Dec-10 22:19:06

smile
You will get over it.

FranSanDisco Tue 14-Dec-10 22:20:00

She is developing her social skills and friendship groups. Academic stuff can wait. Be realistic and you'll have less stress in life.

Hassledge Tue 14-Dec-10 22:20:12

She's 6, she's doing fine. Everything there is positive - she's doing her best, she's growing in confidence, she's delightful. You should be very proud of her (I'm sure you are).

Good communication skills aren't necessarily a marker for good literacy or numeracy skills. But they do help in life, and at 6 they're all over the shop developmentally in any case - it has no bearing on where there'll be in a year or two's time.

FranSanDisco Tue 14-Dec-10 22:21:58

I would feel better if you had put a little smile in - your op isn't serious is it? Do you want a genis loner for a child?

sue52 Tue 14-Dec-10 22:24:33

She sounds fine to me.

sue52 Tue 14-Dec-10 22:24:39

She sounds fine to me.

PixieOnaLeaf Tue 14-Dec-10 23:08:37

Message withdrawn

Jinx1906 Tue 14-Dec-10 23:16:40

I'm not an expert but my oldest daughter is currently in year 6 and did very nicely in her secondary school entry tests last September. I don't mean to sound smug but we are pretty happy with her achievements. When she was in year 2 she was very average,. Perhaps more bordering the bottom set than the top I know that in most schools there is at least one child who appears to be so bright that they are almost able to fly a helicopter at the age of 6. However,my experience tells me that this is not at all a reflection as to how they will perform in the later stages of primary. Most of those who were considered ''the clever ones'' in the early years of primary school are no longer the higher performers to date and those ''average children'' seem to have done very well indeed.

I don't think you have anything to worry about... The school are saying that she is popular, hard working and her confidence is growing. I would be happy with that at the age of 6.

Ballsofsteel Tue 14-Dec-10 23:22:43

"Her report goes on to say how delightful and artistic and hard working she is..as well as kind and popular."

Hit the jackpot I'd say- this was my idea of a child dream. grin

"Where is my genius? "

I have a dc who is as described as off the scale bright.

It is no fun let me tell you.

PixieOnaLeaf Tue 14-Dec-10 23:22:50

Message withdrawn

ThatVikRinA22 Tue 14-Dec-10 23:27:35

would you like to swap? mine is was an antisocial genius. but he has autism.

countless Tue 14-Dec-10 23:28:28

have a couple more kids and you'll struggle to get her name right first time!

I'm of the opinion that you should spend as much time as possible doing fun or boring things together and know her for who she is, the school is obviously on top of all the academic things. stop stressing

LeninInExcelsis Tue 14-Dec-10 23:32:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ballsofsteel Tue 14-Dec-10 23:33:30

Same as what Vicarinatutu said. grin

ImNotaCelebrity Tue 14-Dec-10 23:34:41

How I would love to have my 6 yr old DS described as delightful, kind or popular! Lucky you!

LeninInExcelsis Tue 14-Dec-10 23:38:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

emy72 Wed 15-Dec-10 07:18:51

In my opinion being hardworking with excellent social skills sets you in very good stead in life.

So you should be really proud of her and like the others said, think about it she's only 6. There will be a lot of parents pushing their kids very hard at this age, and I think it's a bit of a shame, personally.

ShanahansRevenge Wed 15-Dec-10 07:32:14

Thank you so much...I am only partly serious...I did want to know if what you are at 6 indicates your path...I am happy that they're not set in stone academically at this age because I do want her to do well...but am relaxed about her work...I can't push her to hard when as someone here said she'drather be cutting of her own hair or eating plasticene!

smile thanks guys....

rabbitstew Wed 15-Dec-10 07:52:46

Sounds like a girl with huge potential to me. Sociable, willing to apply herself and making great progress academically.

ShanahansRevenge Wed 15-Dec-10 09:00:09

Thank you Rabbit...I think I am insecure because my own education was very poor.

nlondondad Thu 16-Dec-10 00:20:12

Getting on with people is so useful that given the choice of a child with high intelligence and poor social skills or a child with average intelligence and good social skills...

But the thing is we dont get to choose do we?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now