Talk

Advanced search

Reception dd said she hit her head on playground but I haven't been informed?

(13 Posts)
13lucky Fri 10-Dec-10 20:16:53

Hi there, my dd who is 4 and in reception came home today and said she was crying at school because she fell over, hit her head on the playground and had to be taken to first aid. Apparently the member of staff there (who she didn't know) put something cold on it and asked her name and which class she was in.

When I went to pick her up this afternoon, I spoke directly to her teacher to ask her something else and nothing was mentioned about this fall.

Am I being PFB to expect someone to have said something to me about this incident? She seems ok tonight although wouldn't eat her dinner and said she had tummy ache although I think this is probably unrelated and I can't see any bumps or bruises...but I still personally think I should have been told? What do you think?

Trubert Fri 10-Dec-10 20:24:03

I wouldn't expect to be told myself, actually. Not if there's no mark - it sounds like a very minor injury.

My son's come home from nursery before with a cut on the head. He was fine, obviously.
The staff didn't mention anything and I didn't inquire.

I trust the staff to tell me if something happens that I actually need to know about.

Octavia09 Fri 10-Dec-10 21:38:36

At my DS school if you bump your head you get a call from the school or/and you get a note in the book bag saying: your DC had a bump, please take him/her to the hospital if she is sick, dizzy etc. So, I guess, your school should have informed you about it too. You might not see anything (no bruises, no bumps) but the head injuries can be very dangerous. You can ask them to kindly inform you next time your child has an injury. Hope she does not.

ItalianLady Fri 10-Dec-10 21:40:20

You should definitely be told if your child has a bump on the head. At our school a yellow note comes on with the time of the accident on it.

13lucky Fri 10-Dec-10 21:45:52

Yes that's what I thought....now I know she can be a drama queen so she may have been making a mountain out of a molehill...but if it was her head, I think I should have been told regardless. Think maybe I should ask on Monday...although it seems pretty pointless by then...but perhaps that will prompt them to tell me should it happen again. Don't want to seem OTT about it though.

ItalianLady Fri 10-Dec-10 21:55:12

You should never worry about being OTT when it is your child's health and safety in question.

13lucky Fri 10-Dec-10 21:56:40

Thanks ItalianLady...good point!

GeorgeWHollyBush Fri 10-Dec-10 22:04:04

I'd expect to be told too and I don't think it's OTT.

We sign an incident form for things like this, thought it was common practice in all schools?

julybutterfly Sat 11-Dec-10 08:49:12

Of course you should be told if your child hits their head trubert - just because it looks minor and there's no bump doesn't mean it isn't serious!

Goblinchild Sat 11-Dec-10 08:52:19

Bump on the head = letter in bookbag, bumpsticker on child, note in incident book and with a reception child at handover, verbal explanation to carer collecting.

That's how we do it.

Octavia09 Sat 11-Dec-10 09:03:13

Ah, we did have a bumpsticker as well. I think that that is how it should be, caring.

Rosa Sat 11-Dec-10 09:11:45

Agree you should be told in whatever shape or form esp if child was taken to first aid .

Goblinchild Sat 11-Dec-10 09:13:38

The bumpsticker flags it up to anyone the child is in contact with throughout the day, so they pay attention.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now