Talk

Advanced search

What and how many books per week for a 4-5 yo?

(49 Posts)
thecaptaincrocfamily Mon 06-Dec-10 22:46:23

What do they read?
How often do they change the book?
What level is which?

I am clueless!! Reception is a mystery to me!

thecaptaincrocfamily Mon 06-Dec-10 22:47:57

smile grin smile grin just practicing! trala la la la la la la la!!!!

thecaptaincrocfamily Mon 06-Dec-10 22:50:32

We have the exciting 'BIG and Little' smile

orangepoo Mon 06-Dec-10 22:54:42

Oxford reading tree books - either no words on the pages or just a few simple ones. No idea how the levels work, think my DS is on level 1 or 1+ but I am not really sure as there are stickers and pen marks over the level numbers.

A few words on their own - simple ones that can be blended c-a-t or j-a-m etc.

Our books are changed 2x or 3x per week.

PoppetUK Mon 06-Dec-10 22:55:06

My DS has just turned 5. I think he is getting 1 book per week or perhaps 2. I'm not sure how it works. To be honest he's more than ready for more books so we just read with him at home.

He's been given early Oxford Reading Tree books.

magicmummy1 Mon 06-Dec-10 22:56:09

It seems to vary enormously from school to school. At our school, they changed books once a week in reception but I have read on here that lots of schools change them daily.

Personally, I preferred the once-a-week approach, as it gave us plenty of time to explore more exciting reading material from the library! grin

As for what they read, I imagine that varies from school to school as well. We had a mixture of books, and not one single scheme.

thecaptaincrocfamily Mon 06-Dec-10 23:06:26

I can't wait until she can read and brings home a book with a good plot story! grin Although I suspect by then I won't be needed to read to! smile

magicmummy1 Mon 06-Dec-10 23:15:19

Oh, I'd encourage her to keep reading aloud even when she's quite proficient - I think it's good for them, and helps to develop all sorts of skills that they wouldn't develop if they were reading silently. Likewise, even though my dd can read virtually anything now, I haven't stopped reading aloud to her either. It's nice to share stories and enjoy them together!

thecaptaincrocfamily Mon 06-Dec-10 23:19:03

I know magic that was me being flippant grin

magicmummy1 Mon 06-Dec-10 23:27:01

Ah, I'll shut up then! grin

lara84 Tue 07-Dec-10 13:45:04

have a 4yr old in Reception and 5yr old in yr1.
We get Rigby star books, my 4yr old has "phase 2" books which are very basic "sid sits" etc and gets them changed once a week. She reads more challenging books at home but nothing all that exciting!!
My 5yr old gets to change his book when ever he likes, but tends to only bring home one a week, again Rigby star "turquoise level" again nothing very exciting so chooses more intersting books at home.
yawn school books are so boring!

redskyatnight Tue 07-Dec-10 18:55:24

4 year old DD in Reception. They can change their reading books as frequently as they like. DD is a girly swot very keen, so she picks 2 a day (they are very simple short books which we rattle through in a couple of minutes).

zapostrophe Tue 07-Dec-10 21:26:51

Message withdrawn

Eveiebaby Tue 07-Dec-10 22:04:19

DD in reception has Oxford Reading Tree books. Usually changed 1 - 2 times a week. I think if the TA has been through the book with her and she can read all the words then the book gets changed. Initially she bought home books with no words and now it tends to be 1 or 1+ books - I think it would depend on the reading ability of the child as to what level book they receive.
DD also visits the school library once a week and can choose a book to take home for the week.

ZephirineDrouhin Tue 07-Dec-10 22:18:28

Am quite startled (and a little envious) hearing about reading books being changed every day. Dd has had her latest one for two weeks (ORT Floppy Phonics) despite having read it to me quite competently on the first night. However, the school did warn us that the frequency of book changing would depend on how many parents could volunteer to come into school each week to hear children read, as the teachers/TAs don't have time to do it. Tricky when you're working though. We are well ahead with the whole getting mothers to do all the work for nothing Big Society idea here.

crystal07 Tue 07-Dec-10 22:25:59

My dd gets 3 books a week from reading schemes such as ort, ginn etc. They tend to have 5 or 6 words on each page. she also has word tin which gets changed every 2/3 weeks depending on what she can read and teachers time.

ZephirineDrouhin Tue 07-Dec-10 22:35:42

This is all a bit of an eye-opener to me. To those who have books changed twice a week or more: how many are in the class, how many TAs are there, and do you have a lot of parent helpers coming in every day?

DreamTeamGirl Tue 07-Dec-10 23:38:54

DS' class had 1 teacher, 1 FT TA and 1 PT TA for 30 kids and books were changed weekly most weeks

mummymilky Wed 08-Dec-10 09:12:29

DD1 is 4 and in Reception. She was bringing home a new book every day, but this has reduced to two or three a week as the books have got harder! She's on Rigby Stars phase 5. Tiny class so they're heard every day, which is fantastic.

swanker Wed 08-Dec-10 09:18:43

DD is in Reception, she reads to teacher or TA every day (whole class does), and brings home 2 books a night.

She is free reading now at home, but school insist she must do the reading scheme (currently ORT lv 5)hmm

dinkystinky Wed 08-Dec-10 09:21:56

oxford tree reading books once a week
library book once a week
book packs every fortnight

mejon Wed 08-Dec-10 10:44:12

None yet. Don't know if I should be worried about this or not? DD started Reception in September having turned 4 in August. Her closest friend at school started after Easter and has only been taking reading books home this last 1/2 term so I'm guessing we might get some sometime after Christmas. She knows all her alphabet which she certainly didn't before starting school so must be learning something! We're in Wales if this makes any difference.

bluedolphin1 Wed 08-Dec-10 18:08:22

Ds brings home reading scheme books. about . (Red level 2) Changed 3 times a week Yet twice he has been given same book. Finding them a little easy.

icancancan Wed 08-Dec-10 18:20:02

ds nearly 5 book changed every day - on storyworlds yellow (not sure what ORT level that is). also subscribe to the Reading Chest and visit the library most weeks. He finds reading/blending quite laborious.

heppy23 Wed 08-Dec-10 19:53:03

Our son is 5 and is in year one. I've recently had a meeting with the headteacher as I wasn't happy with his progress.
He was on red books and has just moved to yellow.
I'm frustrated because there seems to be no system for changing the books over. If you want the book changed you put it (with his reading record book) in a basket. Then those children are given the chance to change their books twice that day.
This means that sometimes he comes home with the same book (because he likes it and no-one makes him change it) and sometimes he comes home with no book (because he put his book in the basket and they were all too busy rehearsing for the christmas show!). I sent him back in to go and choose a book.
I'm thinking of joining reading chest to make sure he gets a good flow of books.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now