Talk

Advanced search

Taking holiday during the school term

(16 Posts)
countrylover Thu 02-Dec-10 13:52:04

What's the deal with this? Has anyone done this and got into 'trouble'? Or is it the case that the school turn a blind eye and let you do it as long as it's only once a year or something?

We were looking into booking a simple holiday to Spain in the summer half term and the flights alone are going to be £1000! The week before or after are only £500.

Is there really no way round this? Are we destined to never be able to afford to go on holiday again? shock

MassiveKnob Thu 02-Dec-10 13:52:50

just go and enjoy, as I would.

You will be flamed though smile

Callisto Thu 02-Dec-10 13:54:15

I have absolutely no qualms about taking DD out of school for holidays and long weekends. We don't do it often mind you.

countrylover Thu 02-Dec-10 13:54:22

oh dear, have i inadvertantly stepped into dodgy mumsnet territory? it was just an innocent question before anyone lays into me!

countrylover Thu 02-Dec-10 13:56:20

callisto - did you have any repercussions? what did you do when you phoned the school to say DD/DS weren't going to be in for the whole week? did you tell them the thruth or make up some far fetched story? wink

countrylover Thu 02-Dec-10 13:57:14

truth obviously!

MassiveKnob Thu 02-Dec-10 13:57:26

If they are going to fine you, and that is down to the head to decide, it will be £50 per parent with parental responsibility.

How many children have you got?

countrylover Thu 02-Dec-10 13:59:24

just one at primary school - i didn't realise they would actually fine you! but taking a £50 hit is still better than the extra £500 we'd have to pay in air fares.....

NoahAndTheWhale Thu 02-Dec-10 14:02:06

I'm not in favour of it. But this may be because my parents are teachers and so we never could do that. Holidays are luxuries rather than a right I suppose. Have been on a holiday since DC started school and that was in holiday time. Haven't been able to afford another one tbh.

However many people are very happy to take holiday in term time. Lots of schools happy about it. And is unlikely anything bad will happen if you do - may get a fine but much less than difference in holiday price.

schoolsecretary Thu 02-Dec-10 14:02:59

Our Lea policy is you have to apply to the school direct and if attendance is more than 95% then the head can authorise 10 days holiday. IF less than 95% then it will not be authorised, if you still go away you will be automatically fined by the Education welfare officer.

NoahAndTheWhale Thu 02-Dec-10 14:03:10

You need to fill in a holiday request form - not just phone up and say they are ill.

MassiveKnob Thu 02-Dec-10 14:29:15

they do warn you that they will fine you. check with the school and see if they will allow the absence. Ours doesn't and automatically refers to the LEA for them to issue a fine.

He will only allow exceptional circs i.e ill family, parents in the forces etc.

crazymum53 Thu 02-Dec-10 16:40:25

At my dds school need to fill in a request form. It is only granted if the child has more than 95% attendance though !

Callisto Thu 02-Dec-10 17:15:22

Countrylover - I hadn't even considered the possibility that I might be fined. I certainly wouldn't pay, bloody ridiculous. So far (DD is 5 so in yr1) I have had no problems with school. I just tell her teacher that she won't be in on xyz day(s) due to holiday/visiting rellies/trip to London museums. I never ask permission.

saggarmakersbottomknocker Thu 02-Dec-10 17:19:04

If your child's attendance is usually OK you're not likely to be fined but it is always a possibility, especially if you make a habit of it.

scurryfunge Thu 02-Dec-10 17:19:53

We have always had holidays authorised but I have never taken more than a week at a time. We spent £2000 more on a holiday by going in Christmas holidays once, so I try to tag on leave to either end of a school holiday to limit days off.

If attendance and progress is good in school, I wouldn't worry about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now