Talk

Advanced search

What's "normal"? Primary teachers please tell me!

(7 Posts)
EvilTwins Mon 29-Nov-10 19:12:12

I'm trying not be too concerned about how my DTDs are getting on at school. They are in Yr R, and are July babies, so still quite young. I work, so they're at before and after school club (except on Fridays) which means I don't get to see their teacher at all. I know that they are happy at school - they're cheerful little things anyway, but as far as reading goes, I have no idea whether they are average, above or below. They have covered quite a lot of phonics (all single sounds plus some double consonants and SH, CH and NG) and have been bringing home lists of 3 and 4 letter words (CVC kind of things) to go over with us, for a few weeks - they're onto list 6 or 7 (though I don't know how many there are) A friend's DS in the same class has been bringing home reading books.

All I want to know is - does it sound like they're on track with things? We do lots of story reading at home, and they enjoy sharing non-fiction books with us too. They've started to realise that they can read a few of the words in their story books, and also that there are words on other things too, and are good at sounding out and blending sounds to read words on everything from CD covers to signposts and cereal packets (within reason!)

Can someone please reassure me that they're where they ought to be??

Thanks.

magicmummy1 Mon 29-Nov-10 19:17:28

Not a teacher, but it sounds like they're doing fine to me.

piscesmoon Mon 29-Nov-10 19:29:45

I am a teacher and they sound fine to me.Keep enjoying books at home.

sarahfreck Tue 30-Nov-10 14:03:48

They sound spot on - and delightful! They've had less than a term remember!

zapostrophe Tue 30-Nov-10 14:07:37

Message withdrawn

Acanthus Tue 30-Nov-10 14:08:41

All they need to do at the moment is learn how to go to school. Which sounds fine. Don't sweat the rest, they're only babies.

howtoapproach Tue 30-Nov-10 14:14:43

Mines in reception. Some of them have reading books (a few 5 yr olds) and most others don't yet. They sound like they're doing well to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now