Talk

Advanced search

this new reading test for 6 year olds ...

(12 Posts)
zapostrophe Mon 29-Nov-10 18:17:23

Message withdrawn

mrz Mon 29-Nov-10 18:39:17

It hasn't been decided yet. At the moment the government has opened a consultation which closes on Feb 14th. www.education.gov.uk/consultations/downloadableDoc s/Reading%20test%20consultation%20document%20V2.do c

magicmummy1 Mon 29-Nov-10 18:42:49

The thing that I keep wondering about with regard to this test is, wouldn't any decent teacher already know which of their six year-old pupils were struggling with reading? Do we really need another test to tell us this? confused

Genuinely interested to know if teachers think there is a need for this!

mrz Mon 29-Nov-10 18:46:21

To be fair most schools would do internal assessment, this is just formalising what already happens.

magicmummy1 Mon 29-Nov-10 18:48:40

I see what you mean, mrz, but won't this just create more bureaucracy for teachers? Or are there benefits to formalising the process that I haven't thought about?

mrz Mon 29-Nov-10 18:52:24

as always more paperwork hmm

TmiEdward Mon 29-Nov-10 18:54:53

I'd be more than happy to administer a reading test for 6yo (end of Yr1) if they scrapped the SAT.

MrsShrekTheThird Mon 29-Nov-10 18:56:08

TmiEd, agree grin

maverick Mon 29-Nov-10 18:58:16

The aim of the test is to check on 'decoding all through the word' skills. Children who have been taught through synthetic phonics will be able, in most cases, to do this easily.

stoatsrevenge Mon 29-Nov-10 19:15:32

What a waste of money. All schoolsa running a YR through KS1 phonics scheme will do this already.
I really do wonder who's advising these idiots.

IndigoBell Mon 29-Nov-10 19:19:52

I think the point is that not all schools are teaching synthetic phonics as they have been advised to.

This will now be even more incentive for them to teach SP properly.

I hope it will also stop them claiming kids are making good progress when they are clearly not.

mrz Mon 29-Nov-10 19:23:42

I think for many years teaching phonics has stopped at the end of reception so this should identify children who need some support

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: