Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone used pencil grips?

(12 Posts)
hillyhilly Fri 26-Nov-10 17:59:25

I've just ordered some of these to help my almost 6 yr old DD hold her pencils correctly.
Has anyone tried them or does anyone have any tips?
TIA

schoolsecretary Fri 26-Nov-10 18:31:10

my ds got given these by the OT, they were great... he only used them for a few months, they were to stop him holding his pencil to hard. I sent one into school for his school pen/pencil which the teacher kept for him and we had spares at home.

mustdash Fri 26-Nov-10 18:33:17

DD2 uses one, and it has been brilliant. She used to get really tired sore hands holding a pencil, and can now (aged 8.5) write for as long as she needs to. We've found the slightly softer ones (got them in Borders sadly, so no idea where to try now) much nicer to use.

droves Fri 26-Nov-10 18:49:42

ASDA sells pencils with grips already on them. soft ones too grin

LadyLapsang Fri 26-Nov-10 18:53:20

My DS did when he was small. Also something which helped his grip was a pencil that was triangular, saw one today actually - think they are Swiss made, silver grey coloured with black dots on ...can't remember the make

domesticsluttery Fri 26-Nov-10 19:22:13

Yes, DS2 (who is 6) uses them. They have improved his grip enormously, and in turn improved his handwriting.

beautifulgirls Fri 26-Nov-10 20:56:48

Dd#1 does - from the OT. We tried numerous different types to see which suited her the best, so you may or not find you need to try different shapes to find one that suits well.

loosinas Sun 28-Nov-10 12:41:31

my son's grip makes writing look hard work.. has anyone got any grip recommendations?
and where to buy ? thanks

CardyMow Sun 28-Nov-10 12:44:36

Stabilo smoove pens and pecils are brilliant. ALso those silver pencils - I'm pretty sure they are made by Steadler(sp?) (Staedler?). I have some for DS2 but they are in his tray at school!. ELC also do triangular plastic grips to slide onto pencils.

HTH.

CardyMow Sun 28-Nov-10 12:45:17

Pe*n*cils.

harvalp Sun 28-Nov-10 13:48:14

Tesco do triangular 'chunky pencil crayons' in packets of 6 colours for 60p.

schoolsecretary Sun 28-Nov-10 16:52:39

we got 1 via the OT, but the others i got from the www.thedyslexiashop.co.uk/air-grip-pencil-grips.ht ml

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now