Talk

Advanced search

Why is my son suddenly spedial needs?

(11 Posts)
birdp Thu 25-Nov-10 19:50:52

My son is in year 6 and currently has the following SATS levels:

Maths 3B
Reading/Literacy 4C

He has always struggled with maths and has been part of a 'springboard' group for the last 2 years - this was at my request when his teacher had not identified this as an area where he needed more help.

I was asked to see his teacher this week to sign a form with an IEP for SENS.

The help his school is offering is for reading, literacy and communication/confidence.

Nothing more than existing provision for maths.

Do these levels indicate SENS?

My son has no behavioural problems and is a happy, popular little boy.

Call me cynical but is there an advantage for the school in terms of SATS by labelling a child SENS?

This is my first post so sorry if I'm rambling.....

mrz Thu 25-Nov-10 19:58:09

The Springboard maths is an intervention programme which means your son has been receiving SEN support at School Action level for the last 2 years. There is no advantage to the school as far as SATS are concerned.

SantasMooningArse Thu 25-Nov-10 20:10:14

IEP isn;t really SEN- it's just a formalised action plan, with targets, to get him on track.

A way of coordinating a response.

birdp Thu 25-Nov-10 20:18:39

Thanks Mr Z - can you tell me what you mean by 'at Scool Action level'.

Is this any different to an IEP?

The IEP I have doesn't show any objectives in terms of SATS level progression - would you think that the levels I mentioned indicate SEN support is needed for reading and literacy?

mrz Thu 25-Nov-10 20:26:13

There are different levels of action
the lowest is School Action (children receive additional or different support to other children in the class - such as Springboard) followed by school action plus (where other professionals would be involved could be support teachers or speech therapists Educational Psychologist ) and finally a statement of SEN.
Children on any SEN level may have an IEP detailing what "extras" they receive but sometimes the needs/support is recorded in different ways

birdp Thu 25-Nov-10 20:34:05

thanks for the info

mrz Thu 25-Nov-10 20:40:41

it's explained better here

IndigoBell Thu 25-Nov-10 21:05:50

And to clarify - SEN means Special Educational Needs, which is not the same thing at all as Special Needs.

Basically it sounds like it means he is on the Springboard intervention, and they are keeping a close eye on him to help him achieve a level 4 at the end of the year.

So all good things for him.

It doesn't mean anything else.

mummytime Fri 26-Nov-10 07:35:19

It is also useful for this to be flagged up now ready to be passed on to his seniors school. However I would query the IEP if it doesn't include any targets/intervention for his maths, and this is his area of greatest weakness. If you have already signed it, then write a letter to express your concern. Also keep a copy of your letter, the IEP (request one if you don't have it) and make a note of your meeting. Keeping records can all be part of being a great supporting parent.

Good luck!

BTW lots of SEN kids don't have any behaviour problems, its just behaviour (including shyness) can be another reason why kids need SEN support.

ClenchedBottom Fri 26-Nov-10 09:48:23

It's odd if school have identified maths as his weakest area but then not mentioned it on the IEP.
There should be some very clear targets on the IEP which will enable school - and you - to check whether he is progressing at a satisfactory rate. If not, I would query it with them.

But try not to be suspicious about the IEP thing - there really is no benefit for the school in generating one, all they are doing is planning some extra support for your son and keeping a closer eye on his progress.

birdp Fri 26-Nov-10 22:06:15

Thank you all for your advice

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: