Talk

Advanced search

what would you do if your dc told you a teacher did this?

(9 Posts)
hatwoman Thu 25-Nov-10 19:19:13

dd (8) told me the following story. It isn't directly about her. It may be true. It may be exageration (I doubt it's complete fabrication). what would you do?

basically a child who was being "a bit" naughty sat on the floor and refused to do what she had been told. the teacher shouted. the child stayed sitting. dd said "Mrs F grabbed her by the ankles and dragged her across the floor". Finding this a bit hard to believe I said "What?" dd repeated "she grabbed her by the ankles and started to drag her". I said "what happened next?". dd said "C shouted "get off". Then Mrs F went off in a mard and just ignored her and starting reading our story."

Apparently there were 2 other adults (TAs) in the classroom. I have heard Mrs F shout before and I do believe it's entirely possible she has a short fuse and a bit of a temper.

IF true this isn't acceptable is it? But should I do anything?

onimolap Thu 25-Nov-10 19:21:08

I'd start by checking what actually happened. Ask one of the adults perhaps?

LynetteScavo Thu 25-Nov-10 19:21:22

I can totally believe it. I doubt it's exaggerated.

girliefriend Thu 25-Nov-10 19:23:15

Can you collaborate the story with anyone else? When I was much younger I did a work placement at a school and was in a class of 6-7 yr olds when the teacher lost her rag with one of the kids and literally picked her up and threw her out of the class shock at the time I was too young and scared to say anything. Now of course I would be up in arms!!! Suppose what Im saying is it is possible......

pinkteddy Thu 25-Nov-10 19:24:23

I think I would probably speak to a couple of the other mums and see if they had been told the same story. If they had I would be extremely concerned. Do you know the mother of the child this happened to?

ChristmasTrulyReigns Thu 25-Nov-10 19:24:23

Have you got a friend with a child in the class who could corroborate the story?

It would be good to have a second version of events.

hatwoman Thu 25-Nov-10 19:48:16

I know just about every parent in the class (small school) - might see if the parent of the child was told the story too

LynetteScavo Thu 25-Nov-10 20:42:05

hatwoman, speaking to the mother of the child concerned, would be sensible. Speaking to other parents of children in the class would be spreading gossip, and solve nothing.

If you are really concerned, I suggest going to the head with what your DD has told you, and emphasise what you have stated in the first sentence of your OP, then leave it.

Go Thu 25-Nov-10 20:45:20

It could be trued, but nowhere near as awful as you might think. Maybe she playfully pulled her along while she was sitting down, jsut to move her a little? Wouldn't worry about it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: