Talk

Advanced search

Help, I don't understand this year 2 maths homework

(15 Posts)
whiteliesaregoodlies Sun 21-Nov-10 11:45:27

I've read this and just don't understand what ds is being asked to do. This is exactly what the sheet says:

"Doubles over 10

To work out these doubles:

1. double the first number
2. double the second number
3. add the two answers together!

Double 12

+ = _

+ = _

+ = _ "

Do they mean the first line is 12 + 12 = 24, then 24 + 24 = 48, then add 24 + 48 to make 72? There are six questions like this in total, and the largest number is 63 - seems a bit hard for a 6 year old?

whiteliesaregoodlies Sun 21-Nov-10 11:48:11

Bugger that didn't come out right - the sum lines are

blank + blank = blank

blank + blank = blank

blank + blank = blank

Feenie Sun 21-Nov-10 11:48:12

It means double the tens digits, double the unit digits, then add them together.

spanieleyes Sun 21-Nov-10 11:49:44

No, for double 12 they mean
double the 1(ten) =20
double the 2 (units)=4
Add together =24

so first you double the tens, then double the units and then add the results together. So double 63 would be
double 6(tens) =120
double 39units) =6 so 126

Feenie Sun 21-Nov-10 11:49:53

So, double 12:

10 + 10 = 20

2 + 2 = 4

20 + 4 = 24

whiteliesaregoodlies Sun 21-Nov-10 11:50:24

Thank you so much Feenie! Makes perfect sense now you say it. Just scraped an o level myself so not super-confident in maths.

whiteliesaregoodlies Sun 21-Nov-10 11:51:48

Thank you too spanieleyes. If it had said tens and units I would've understood!

Feenie Sun 21-Nov-10 11:52:53

It's not very well explained, to be fair to you!

spanieleyes Sun 21-Nov-10 11:56:12

Feenie and I could go into partnership!

I have to say, as a teacher, I am dismayed at the lack of explanation that goes out with some maths homework, the instructions are hardly clear ( and this is at least the second example this weekend!) Although children SHOULD remember what method they used in class, they don't always ( especially the littlies-I teach yr 5/6 and if mine don't understand they are expected to find out-but then I'm meangrin ) so perhaps teachers should ensure parents are given the support they need so they can help if their children need it, rather than spend the weekend baffled or on Mumsnet!

Mimile Sun 21-Nov-10 16:28:36

i'm surprised at the mix-up between the terms number and digit TBH. Far from self-explanatory!

thumbwitch Sun 21-Nov-10 16:31:35

Should definitely have said digit, not number - I read it as you did first, OP and I have apparently 2 A levels in maths, so not a maths issue, more of a poorly written question.

whiteliesaregoodlies Sun 21-Nov-10 17:26:03

Thank you all for making me feel a little less thick. Parents like me need it spelt out! smile

spanieleyes Sun 21-Nov-10 18:31:25

As well as teach yr 5/6 I also run family learning sessions for our parents, especially in maths. This is not because our parents can't understand maths ( although some do struggle!) but that they don't understand the methods and ways of teaching we have today. I do think some teachers asuume parents are mind readers and know what we mean and how we teach different concepts. We just need to be more explicitgrin

MrsDinky Mon 22-Nov-10 10:04:01

I agree, I am struggling to understand DS's Yr 2 maths homework this week and I have A level maths, but it's all changed!

munstersmum Mon 22-Nov-10 10:37:35

We have been through this as well. It's not easy when the school then says we teach them lots of ways so they can all find their own preferred way. So even if you do it the 'right' way one week, a month later your kid we tell you no not that way.

The example given confuses many cos we were always taught add the units, then the tens, then the hundreds & so it seems back the front. Who knows if it's an improvement? Our 6 yr old when he does these in his head almost always forgets what we would call the '1 carried across' when the two units total 11 or more!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now