Talk

Advanced search

Learning Logs - what are they how do they work

(6 Posts)
treas Tue 16-Nov-10 21:31:07

Dd's school are introducing 'learning logs' for class room and homework.

Currently lots of parents are unhappy with homework, for some its too much, for others not enough or at wrong level for their child etc. Generally the view is that homework is death by worksheet!

But what are learning logs, how do they work? Has anyone on MN had any experience of them and what do you really think of them?

Are they of any use or just another attempt to impress Ofsted with the next fad?

swill72 Tue 16-Nov-10 21:35:02

We've introduced something similar for homework, and we first found out by looking here. The feedback from the children has been really positive - they actually enjoy homework, and it's more meaningful and personal.

ballstoit Tue 16-Nov-10 21:37:55

My DC have all had Learning Logs for homework at some point or other. They give the opportunity for further learning and/or preparation for what has been learned in class.

DS's (Year 1) this week was;
We have been learning about electricity and would like you and your child to look at what in your home uses electricity in your home. This can be presented in any way you choose.

So, we have gone round the house with the Argos book and cut out pictures of what uses electricity. Then he has stuck them into a house outline in his book which he has drawn.

However, we could have just done a list, or drawn pictures or we could have built a model of a house and models of the appliances as I'm sure another parent child in his class will have done.

I like this style of homework, on a quiet weekend we can do lots of sticking and gluing or if we're busy we can do something pretty basic. I also think he learns more from it than just filling in a worksheet.

But will be interested to see what others think.

treas Tue 16-Nov-10 21:45:26

Thanks for the feedback already.

At the moment parents at our school have just been told about learning logs in the newsletter as the school have ceased handing out homework until the scheme is underway. Therefore, it is interesting to see how it works from those who have already experienced it.

From ballstoit's post I can see how the learning logs will solve the schools dilemma of balance between too little / much work and the level at which it gets pitched.

SE13Mummy Tue 16-Nov-10 22:14:54

I used learning logs with my class last half-term and the children have voted to continue with them. For me it wasn't an Ofsted-motivated thing (that's not how I work!) but a way of children extending their interests if they desired. Last half-term they were asked to find out about the class name (a gemstone), this half-term they've chosen to either find out why numbers never stop or about Tudor fashion. Both of these were their ideas but are linked to our current learning.

The work produced has ranged from nothing at all to an amazing, 3D fold-out/pop up contraption. Some children have done a little bit each week (they had a month to complete the project), others blitzed it over half-term and one child's Mum and Nan went shopping for stick-on gemstones and made the project a family activity (lasting one entire weekend). Learning logs, IME, encourage a genuine interest in a subject and give children an opportunity to do things their way be that last-minute print outs from Wiki or an elaborate board game.

I hate worksheets; family time is too precious to waste on that sort of thing. If children in my class (or their parents) want 'homework' then I've provided something - it's up to the child/family to decide what/how to do with the concept.

ChineseGinger Tue 16-Nov-10 22:33:57

We have learning logs too. They are fantastic imo. Kids at our school get a choice of homeworks and the question is usually pretty open - my children are developing a confidence in what is expected and that is whatever they wish to produce, however they wish to interpret the question. They have found out so much interesting information...it has taken them down so many different paths of learning and led to many an interesting chat with not just us but other adults in their lives too. Not all of it gets reproduced back into the learning log, but that's not the point, to my mind the effect of this kind of homework is to build learning confidence, independence and ownership while encouraging a love of learning - can you tell I'm a big fan!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now