Talk

Advanced search

Can This Be Right?

(29 Posts)
LeQueen Tue 16-Nov-10 21:07:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

redskyatnight Tue 16-Nov-10 21:18:32

I suspect the inaccuracy is in the assumption that she will progress at the same rate as she has since Reception. This sounds somewhat unlikely (my own DS started very slowly in Reception, but made superb progress in Y1 - I don't expect him to sustain this rate of progress through Y2, I just expect him to find his "level".).

I often see "2 sublevels of progess" a year quoted on MN as "average". With this rate of progress your DD will be attaining a Level 5 at the end of KS2 (so not sitting doing nothing for 2 years ...).

ASmallBunchofFlowers Tue 16-Nov-10 21:21:53

Also, I think that level 5 is the highest level at which they can be assessed at the end of KS2, not necessarily the highest level at which they will actually be working. I'm quite sure she won't be staring out of the window for two years!

ASmallBunchofFlowers Tue 16-Nov-10 21:22:31

Oh hi LeQ. Didn't spot that it was you!

swill72 Tue 16-Nov-10 21:27:28

Sounds like she's doing brilliantly.
Agree with redsky. KS1 progress is often rapid. It would be highly unusual to sustain it. 1 level per 2 years would be typical, even in above average children, so assuming she's 3c-ish by the end of yr 2, attaining 5a at the end of yr6 would mean beyond typical progress. (Think the teacher was a bit daft to make this sort of prediction, to be honest!)

Feenie Tue 16-Nov-10 21:30:08

It's the highest they can be tested at in Y6 SATs (the tests only measure attainment between levels 3 and 5). They can be teacher assessed at higher than a level 5 - cildren assessed at level 6 are often referred to on MN.

pointythings Tue 16-Nov-10 21:30:16

I was in the same boat as the OP - my younger DD was exactly the same, ended up with 3a, 3a, 3b at the end of Yr2. That just means they're on target to hit a level 5 at the end of Yr 6 - but a good school will work around that to deepen the curriculum and if necessary bring in work from the next school on - this was done for DD1 who was doing work from the local middle school in Yr 4. She is now in Yr 5, is expected to hit 5B across the board by the end of the year, but I trust the school to keep her progressing. Good teachers like a challenge - this can be bringing out the best in those who find the work hard, but also in doing the same for those who are above average.
I always tell my DDs that they were lucky to be born with good brains but that doesn't excuse them from working hard.

LeQueen Wed 17-Nov-10 07:23:26

LeQueen Wed 17-Nov-10 07:24:25

Spinkle Wed 17-Nov-10 08:20:31

Level projections are exactly that.

They assume children will learn at a uniform pace and manner.

The levels she has are teacher assessed. Hence not uniform either.

She's clearly bright smile but take the projections with a pinch of salt, I'd say.

Don't forget the Gifted and Talented provision in primary schools for her too.

MassiveKnob Wed 17-Nov-10 08:23:42

I believe they don't always work at the same pace right through the school. She may be up to speed now but flag a little next year, then up again.

That is my experience with mine anyway.

She will be, what she will be at the end of year 6.

Simbacatlives Wed 17-Nov-10 08:29:25

You have to think very carefully about sending children to secondary school early. They are not as physically mature- may be smaller- may not start their periods at same time-boobs develop etc- won't be ready for boyfriends at the same time etc. May be smaller- possibly less likely to get into sports teams etc etc

Being ready for secondary school is a lot more than being academically ready.

cubscout Wed 17-Nov-10 08:37:29

Your dd may well be assessed at Level 5 by the end of Year 4 in which case you need to keep an eye on how teachers approach Years 5 and 6. My ds was assessed at 4 a for reading and 5 for maths at the end of Year 3, he now has an IEP for maths. The school have been very honest and said that they don't feel they can teach the KS3 curriculum adequately, hence an IEP. Ds was becoming very frustrated until we discussed a plan to keep him occupied. grin

Well done to your dd! Whilst it is true children don't always progress at the same rate through school, they can also accelerate rather than slowing down! You might think about extra curricular activities to keep her occupied.

cory Wed 17-Nov-10 09:18:43

A good teacher should not have a problem teaching a child at a level that is beyond what they will be testing for. Dd's set were doing Yr 8 work in Yr 6 and also lots of problem solving; she had a very good maths teacher. By Yr 8 they were doing old GCSE papers. It was never a problem.

Otoh I would be wary of letting your dd move up to secondary in advance of her age. A lot of Yr 7 girls have reached puberty, they talk about boyfriends and vampire films anc career plans, they organise their own sleepovers and shopping expeditions into town: your dd could feel very left out in that company. A Yr 6 child is basically a child, a Yr 7 child is a young teen.

MM5 Wed 17-Nov-10 09:30:40

Progress slws don once you reach Level 3. So, if she reaches 3b this year and she progresss on average of 2 sublevels a year, which is still accerlerated. she shoul be 4c end of year 3, 4a end of year 4, 5b by end of year 5 and 6c by end of year 6. It can happen and in my school it does. Schools can assess higher than level 5. We call n the local hs for help in assesment and level 6 objectives. The sats test will only go to level 5. However, progress at this rate is excptionaland requires really good teachers.

LeQueen Wed 17-Nov-10 09:47:29

LeQueen Wed 17-Nov-10 09:53:56

LeQueen Wed 17-Nov-10 09:57:08

PixieOnaLeaf Wed 17-Nov-10 09:59:38

Message withdrawn

LeQueen Wed 17-Nov-10 10:01:23

PixieOnaLeaf Wed 17-Nov-10 10:07:38

Message withdrawn

LeQueen Wed 17-Nov-10 10:22:16

LeQueen Wed 17-Nov-10 10:23:08

PixieOnaLeaf Wed 17-Nov-10 10:33:21

Message withdrawn

LeQueen Wed 17-Nov-10 10:56:24

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: