Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone suggest none reading scheme and none girly books for a child reading level 10/11 ginn

(13 Posts)
veritythebrave Tue 16-Nov-10 11:49:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Goingspare Tue 16-Nov-10 12:11:55

I'm not familiar with the Ginn books, I'm afraid (though quick google suggests she's a fluent reader), but as far as content is concerned, have you tried Jiggy McCue (Michael Lawrence), Roald Dahl, Michael Morpurgo (books suitable for various ages), Jacqueline Wilson, Anne Fine, Harry Potter and Percy Jackson? These are all books/authors that my DD has enjoyed over the last few years (10 now); she also dislikes fairy princesses, but loves humour and adventure, strong plots and big characters. At her most serious, she's tackled Philip Pullman's Northern Lights, but still has a huge soft spot for Horrid Henry.

sarahfreck Tue 16-Nov-10 12:17:27

Judy Moody books by Megan McDonald
Judy Moody is a feisty American 8 year old who has boys as best friends, loves collecting things, has bad moods, has an ambition to be a doctor and is very funny. Great entertainment for non girly-girls! As it is American, some words and cultural aspects may need explaining but a good read nevertheless.
www.amazon.co.uk/Judy-Moody-mood-good-mood/dp/1406 302139/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1289909766&sr=8-8
Also in this vein are the Ramona Books by Beverly Cleary.
She might also like Astrid Lingren books like Pippi Longstocking - though this might be a bit hard for her yet.

PixieOnaLeaf Tue 16-Nov-10 12:22:47

Message withdrawn

Madsometimes Tue 16-Nov-10 13:44:59

My dd1 is a tom boy and when she was 8 she liked the Beast Quest books. She also liked Jeremy Strong and the Famous Five books.

mrsruffallo Tue 16-Nov-10 13:47:19

I'm not sure what level 10/11 means to be honest, but DD is of a silmilar age and loves MrGum, The Little White Horse and Black Beauty

sarahfreck Tue 16-Nov-10 13:53:13

Level 10/11 usually means a reading age of approx 8-9 years

lljkk Tue 16-Nov-10 14:07:03

Horrid Henry
Calvin and Hobbes (which is quite articulate, don't knock comics).
Dirty Bertie
TinTin
Astrosaurs
Jacqueline Wilson (but some of that is perhaps not right for your child),
Tilly's Tales (horsey books, there are loads and loads of such)

lljkk Tue 16-Nov-10 14:07:45

Dinosaur Cove, too.

lljkk Tue 16-Nov-10 14:09:40

Dick King Smith, EB White.

In future I'll suggest:
Horrible Histories (a lot of squabbling over these in our house)
Sprite Sisters
Nasty Nature
Diana Wynne Jones
(I'll shut up now wink)

domesticsluttery Tue 16-Nov-10 14:10:54

Mr Gum.

veritythebrave Wed 17-Nov-10 13:54:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

meerkate Wed 17-Nov-10 14:36:40

OP, i just got a massive box set of michael morpurgos from the puffin book club - 16 books for about £25 - DD (9) working her way steadily through them, been worth the outlay! she also loved Judy Moody last year, and adores Jacqueline Wilson and many of the others suggested on here.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: