Talk

Advanced search

I went to look at an amazing school today :)

(22 Posts)
geraldinetheluckygoat Mon 15-Nov-10 13:16:45

I've been thinking about changing ds's school since he's been having a few problems at his old school (you may or may not have seen my previous 304050 threads about it...). DS has been having problems concentrating in the class and gets into trouble for getting restless and bored. Its all been a bit stressful.

Anyway the school we went to see today is just round the corner, and looked really lovely. The deputy head took us round, and was LOVELY - really really passionate about kids being up and about while learning and doing lots of learning outside. They encourage lots of learning by doing, and gradually increase the ammount of time sitting down and learning as they kids move up the school. There were classes doing work in the playground, and lots of little groups working in various little areas around the school.

They had a nature garden with pond, and a school allotment where each class has a raised bed, and the whole school has a scarecrow competition each year to choose the best scarecrow to go in the allotment! Apparently they follow an international curriculum where they learn topics and then relate it to the rest of the world. So for example, with their keeping fit topic, they have looked at exercise and keeping healthy in other countries too. Plus they start each new topic with a really exciting activity or visit to get the kids engaged in the subject.

It felt so different and less oppressive to his current school, I think I am definitely going apply and hope ds gets in. I think even if he continues to have problems at the new school, they will be dealt with in a more positive way at this school.

Just wanted to share some positive news really! smile

claig Mon 15-Nov-10 13:49:37

sounds fantastic! Good luck with the application. Sounds like your DS will have fun learning there.

Sounds great. Good luck with your application. grin

FrogmellaMoonbeam Mon 15-Nov-10 14:34:26

That sounds a lovely school. Hope he gets in!

Hullygully Mon 15-Nov-10 14:35:22

I want to go there.

Hullygully Mon 15-Nov-10 14:35:34

Is it a Steiner?

geraldinetheluckygoat Mon 15-Nov-10 14:43:44

Nope not a Steiner, (blimey, after reading the threads on that here, you'd have to be insane to consider it wouldnt you, Hully?grin)

We live in a very ethnically diverse area, and most of the kids start that school with very little or no English (which was a reason why we went for a school with about half english speakers and half esl, as I was worried about ds not being ableto make friends as easily). I think that's why they have had to be a bit innovative, to get the kids engaged. Also, they just sounded unbelievably passionate about making learning fun and interesting. While the head at the present school says all the "right" things, there's no emotion behind it. I hope that doesnt make me sound like a precious wanker.

And, as the deputy walked round the school, all the kids were really pleased to see her, and she was genuinely happy to see them grin so nice to see.

Really im just desperate for ds to enjoy his lessons and be interested in learning because its fun, not because he wants to get a star and a reward at the end of the week, which is what he is presently doing.

alittleteapot Mon 15-Nov-10 14:55:51

Sounds wonderful! Where do you live?

alittleteapot Mon 15-Nov-10 14:57:16

ps just looking at schools for dd and amazed how different they are in terms of style and atmosphere. love the sound of a school where stuff goes on outdoors. hope your ds gets a place.

geraldinetheluckygoat Mon 15-Nov-10 15:00:25

Thank you, a littleteapot, and everyone else too for the best wishes smile

We are in Bedford.
The school is here

Hullygully Mon 15-Nov-10 15:12:59

<considers moving to Bedford even though her dc are at secondary school>

geraldinetheluckygoat Mon 15-Nov-10 16:41:45

<Hastily fills out application form and motorcycle couriers it down to County Hall before half of Mumsnet nabs the spaces>

honeybeetree Mon 15-Nov-10 18:14:37

wow looks fantastic !!!

Lydwatt Mon 15-Nov-10 18:27:40

Good for you! i like reading a post about a school that is doing the right thing, for once!

Elibean Mon 15-Nov-10 19:45:58

Good for you, gtheluckyg! You sound like me when I looked around the dds current primary. I was anxious about various stereotypes, but walking round with a Head who gave us all the time in the world, with kids rushing up to her to tell her things about what they were learning every five seconds, was a revelation.

We also have an allotment, and flexible learning, and it really works: I don't know a single kid there who doesn't like going to school.

The international bit sounds fascinating, tell us more about it when your ds is there (I'm sure he will be, if you feel that way about it smile)!

geraldinetheluckygoat Mon 15-Nov-10 19:52:13

thanks Elibean, it was lovely. And they have chickens in the nursery playground!! The international curriculum has a website here and sounds really interesting. Im so pleased as DS is really into maps and finding out where places are, and finding out the words for things in other languages so I think it might capture his imagination...

Also I am hoping his imaginary play wont be a problem here....the scarecrow that won the competition this year had mad madusa mohecan and a green zombie face....grin Doubting that this means they will raise an eyebrow at his pretending his gloves give him supersonic speed.....

geraldinetheluckygoat Mon 15-Nov-10 19:53:04

or rather will not raise an eyebrow!

I will keep you posted as to what its like....

geraldinetheluckygoat Fri 07-Jan-11 21:21:00

Just thought I would update to say DS1 started at this school this week and it has been amazing.
Maybe we are in a honeymoon period grin, but the atmosphere is so much better, he has played tennis and hockey in the playground at lunch times,which he has LOVED, they have loads of opportunities to choose what they would like to do.

he really likes his new teacher who has written lovely things in his reading diary. He says he loves his new school, this coming from a boy who would only ever say school was "OK" with a deep sigh. I am so, so glad I moved him! He has practically bounced all the way home every day! grin

V Happy for you and your DS grin

Feelingsensitive Fri 07-Jan-11 22:06:54

That's lovely. smile

DreamTeamGirl Fri 07-Jan-11 23:02:54

Wow, brilliant news!

Must be a massive relief

geraldinetheluckygoat Sat 08-Jan-11 14:18:39

ah thank you, it really is a big relief. I never realised how different two schools could be...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now