Talk

Advanced search

what are your best and most simple christmas craft ideas?

(20 Posts)
honeybeetree Sun 14-Nov-10 16:51:44

Can you all share your best christmas craft ideas, the more simple the better.

Thanks

belgo Sun 14-Nov-10 16:55:30

If you like hama beads you can make very simple snowflakes, starts etc

PortBlacksand Sun 14-Nov-10 16:57:33

Plain brown paper with glittery potato prints of stars and christmas trees looks fab imo.

PortBlacksand Sun 14-Nov-10 16:57:57

That was with reference to then using it as wrapping paper obv - not for hanging on walls grin

belgo Sun 14-Nov-10 16:58:03

I mean stars

belgo Sun 14-Nov-10 16:58:17

paper chains

honeybeetree Sun 14-Nov-10 17:02:39

port i compleatly read that wrong then thought it read "brown paper bag with with glittery potato prints makes a good christmas tree decoration" woops

PortBlacksand Sun 14-Nov-10 17:04:32

grin - now that's the sort of craft only a parent could love...

YunoYurbubson Sun 14-Nov-10 17:05:02

Old jar
Torn up tissue paper (red and green if you like)
Lots of slightly watered down white gloopy glue

Stick tissue paper to jar
Tie a ribbon round the neck
Pop a candle in

Voila! Something the children can actually make themselves, and it is a really pretty Christmas lantern.

Feenie Sun 14-Nov-10 20:07:10

Hands and feet reindeers - brown footprint for face, 2 hand prints for antlers. Round red nose and some eyes to stick on - Bob's your uncle.

Robin bookmarks - one brown thumbprint for body and a littlest fingerprint for head. A red fingerprint for his redbreast when brown has dried. Black felt tip for a '^' beak and little legs. Laminate, hole punch, bit of red curled present ribbon through hole - v nice.

Please someone give me an idea for Christmas cards - 20 years of teaching and I still have no clue! shock

countydurhamlass Sun 14-Nov-10 20:24:54

green paper cut up into small trees for kids to decorate with glitter and stars etc to hang on tree or put round the doorframes etc

we do snowmen or santa christmas, cards, - cards cut into snowmen/santa covered in cotton wool, red paper etc - your could even do tree shaped

christmas crackers - toilet roll tubes made into crackers - fill them with small trinkets or chocolates (eg roses or quality streets)

paper chains

asdx2 Sun 14-Nov-10 20:35:58

Paint child's fingers white, palm pink and thumb and heel of hand red. plonk on a piece of card, turn it round. Two black dots for eyes and a white fingerprint to make a bobble on Santa's hat.

sims2fan Mon 15-Nov-10 06:05:54

Which year do you teach Feenie? I've used the same one for Nursery and Year 1 which looked quite effective. Child's hand painted brown except for bottom part of palm, near wrist, furthest away from thumb when hand sideways (sure there's a more anatomically correct name for it!!) which is painted red. Splodge it sideways on card, then when dry children paint on beak, legs and eye (or use googly), and voila, a very simple robin card. I used blue card, and had the children paint a line of green at the bottom, or you could do white/cotton wool for snow. Be aware though, I thought this the easiest card in the world, but when I asked a TA to do some, she managed to have the children's hands painted with the red in the wrong place so a few ended up looking a bit odd!!

Feenie Mon 15-Nov-10 06:54:04

Sounds great - I teach y5 though, so maybe a bit young. Thanks anyway!

honeybeetree Mon 15-Nov-10 08:06:00

some sort of pop up card?

madamehooch Mon 15-Nov-10 16:10:05

Holly wreath cards are easy and look fab. Cut green card into the shape of a doughnut and then glue small pieces of scrunched green tissue paper on it. Add some small red beads and a red bow and, if you like, some small cut up bits of gold tinsel and there you go.

Feenie Wed 17-Nov-10 20:41:56

Thanks Madamehooch - am going to keep that one up my sleeve whilst trying to persuade my PPA cover teacher to do them! (Which I think is what I do every year - hence no ideas blush)

Octavia09 Wed 17-Nov-10 21:27:31

www.en.origami-club.com/xmas/index.html

Smithagain Wed 17-Nov-10 21:44:34

Old CDs + PVA glue + sequins + ribbon loop = instant Christmas tree decoration.

Or

Shiny pipe cleaner + selection of beads. Thread beads onto pipe cleaner. Twist into a circle with a loop at the top. Another easy tree decoration.

Both can be done by pre-schoolers, or can also be really effective when done by older children, who can put much more effort into the design process and produce a lovely result.

caz18b Fri 28-Nov-14 11:05:05

Bumping this thread for ideas!

I did have success with microwave play dough today (we made it in red & green with glitter) myboredtoddler.com/microwave-playdough/ but am keen for some more ideas

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now