Talk

Advanced search

where to buy cheap aprons please for my reception class?

(14 Posts)
triplets Sat 13-Nov-10 22:48:28

Hi, I help out once a week with the reception class, absolutely love it Feel really sorry for their teacher as he has had his budget cut for purchasing extras for them. We are in desp need of dressing up stuff and aprons. They hate painting as the plastic aprons are so scratchy on their little wrists, they are old and hard and horrible. I would like to but some for them, any ideas please?

AnnoyingOrange Sat 13-Nov-10 22:49:22

use old adult shirts smile

scurryfunge Sat 13-Nov-10 22:52:11

Just get them to bring in an old shirt they can wear on top, as AnnoyingOrange says. It shouldn't be down to staff to make up the shortfall in budget with their own money.

gingernutlover Sun 14-Nov-10 08:35:56

if you get old adult size t shirts and cut a slit right up the back, and tiny holes in the arm hems then you can thread elastic through the arms and neck to make them fit snugly - they wont be waterproof but stop most paint getting on clothes.

I did these for my reception class and they lasted ages and washed up well - we do have nice proper ones now but the t shirt ones worked just as well. You could ask each parent to provide a large adult t shirt, or beg your local bulders merchants (my dh is a builder and a lot of my classes painting aprons had Jewsons on them LOL)

BrainMash Sun 14-Nov-10 08:57:34

Have they tried putting the aprons in the washing machine with a bit of softner. Ours come up a treat when they're washed and aren't scratchy all.

Good for you for helping them out smile

Goblinchild Sun 14-Nov-10 09:01:09

Further up the school, we use old men's shirts.
Good idea about washing them, but watch out for the softener angle, some children can't tolerate it, my ds being one.
Have you got a PTA to request extra items from?
Or put out an appeal in the newsletter for outgrown ones from parents of older children.

piscesmoon Sun 14-Nov-10 09:20:07

I thought everyone used old shirts. Get them to bring their own, cut the sleeves to the right length and put elastic in and put on back to front.(I mean get the parents to adapt them before they bring them in).

triplets Sun 14-Nov-10 15:53:19

pta more or less folded two years ago when my trios class left, we parents of that class were the pta, so no money coming from that quarter! I am voluntary, started it when my three left and their dad was diagnosed with cancer, been a god send tbh. Will suggest the shirts, can`t think of anything else!

mumtotwoplustwo Sun 14-Nov-10 15:54:06

My daughter's school uses old shirts and she came homee with paint on her uniform where it had gone through. I took her own apron in. Unfortunately it was one purchased from her old school so I don't know where you can buy them.

domesticsluttery Sun 14-Nov-10 16:00:04

We have these ones for my nursery class.

Does the whole class paint at the same time? We have 20 children in the class but no more than 5 or 6 paint at the same time so we don't have 20 aprons IYSWIM.

triplets Sun 14-Nov-10 16:07:52

Yes thats true usually have no more than 8 a time to paint, good thinking!

ChineseGinger Sun 14-Nov-10 17:01:37

Something like these nylon aprons could work well.

scrappydappydoo Sun 14-Nov-10 17:08:40

Wilkinsons have some aprons for 50p here not sure if they are the coverall type but you could ask and maybe because its a schoo they may give you a discount or even donate for free??

triplets Mon 15-Nov-10 17:28:53

Thank you, might pop into wilko next time I`m in Canterbury, Chinese ginger yours look good, even if I got 10 for them, just about afford that as its my treat for them, thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now