Talk

Advanced search

Packed Lunch Ideas / Flask for soup

(9 Posts)
lennythelion Wed 10-Nov-10 19:29:49

Hi, apologies if I have posted this in the wrong section.

My DC's (4 & 7) take a packed lunch to school which tends to consist of sandwich/pitta with meat & salad, yogurt tube, cucumber or carrot sticks, fruit and water.

They are quite happy but I'm stuck for any alternatives and wonder if you have any ideas?

My DC's and very keen to take some warm soup but I cannot find any child-friendly flasks which do not contain the glass element. Can anyone recommend one?

Many thanks in advance.

upahill Wed 10-Nov-10 19:33:54

Outdoor shops sell wide necked thermos flasks that aren't made of glass.

My kids often have pasta/pesto/quorn and sweetcorn or caseroles.

Thick lentil soup or root veg soups are good and they have a bread roll as well.
Butternut squash soup is popular.

Batteryhuman Wed 10-Nov-10 19:37:11

www.lunchboxesetc.co.uk/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id =9&cat=Thermos+Food+Flasks

My DS uses this one (the fatter food flask).

He takes in thick soup or more often leftovers of pasta, curry and rice, risotto etc. I reheat in microwave in the morning a preheat the flask with a bit of hotwater and it stays warm til lunch. It holds quite a lot so I just give a piece of fruit and water to go with. he is 9.

littleducks Wed 10-Nov-10 19:43:40

From battery's link i use the Thermos Everyday Stainless Steel Food Flask (about £8/9 at tesco) and dd uses the Thermos Funtainer Food Flask (£10 jojomaman bebe)

I fill with boiling water to warm them before filing with soup and they stay nice and hot, pasta stays warm

lennythelion Fri 12-Nov-10 18:40:35

Thank you for your replies - I think I'll get the Funtainer Food Flasks.

Coca Fri 12-Nov-10 18:42:53

our school won't let them take soup sad

Oneandnomore Fri 12-Nov-10 21:55:55

No, neither will ours Coca.

Dd often takes cheese, ham and crackers for a change from bread.

We make flapjack which she loves. Houmous and breadsticks with some salad.

Cold tuna pasta with peas and sweetcorn in.

lennythelion Fri 12-Nov-10 22:33:49

I hadn't thought to check if they are allowed to take in soup. Think I'll ask before I spend £35 on two flasks.

pellshky Sun 14-Nov-10 17:43:52

Another thumbs up for the FUNTAINER.

Used in the colder months, from reception right up to Y6 with DD. She needed help getting the lid off in reception, but was okay by Y1 I think. DS, Y4 will be using one again this winter. They have loved them.

I mostly fill with stew/chilli/curry and rice/tiny pasta. Tiny pasta available from sainsburys. Stayed warm until lunch time but not hot.

I keep a few cans of things like beef and chicken casserole in the cupboard for when I'm feeling lazy. With the addition of rice and frozen peas you get two flasks worth from one can.

I originally had two earlier models of these flasks bought in the US where they were v cheap. One failed after 6 years but the other is still going strong. I now have one of the newer models and apart from a better colour, it appears to be the same. A good investment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now