Talk

Advanced search

Yr 6 Homework

(6 Posts)
ClarasBow Wed 10-Nov-10 16:39:54

I'm currently watching my yr6 ds huff, lie on his hands, drop his pencil, pick his pencil back up, make a series of 'amusing' noises all to avoid homework. I know some parents aren't convinced about primary homework but I do think that he needs to get used to it to prepare him for secondary school. Any tips to prevent war breaking out (again)

LindyHemming Wed 10-Nov-10 16:49:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LornMowa Wed 10-Nov-10 18:42:54

"Preparing them for Secondary School" is often given as a reason for primary homework but in my experience, (2 DCs so far) they seem to get far less homework in Secondary.

Teacher401 Wed 10-Nov-10 18:48:53

LornMowa, your children are lucky! In the 4 Secondary schools where I live, the children go into Year 7 and will end up having 4/5 pieces of homework a night, this will settle after Christmas to about 2/3.

Talkinpeace Wed 10-Nov-10 19:01:50

DS is year 6.
I find ironing is good when he is doing homework - I'm there but not hovering and he hates the noise so gets on with it.
DD is year 8
5/6 items of homework a week - each around 1-1 1/2 hours. A lot on the laptop so working at the dining table restricts FB and youtube!

not looking forward to the year 7 year 9 combo last year
but my Mum survived 2 x A levels, 1 x O levels and 1 x 11 plus all at once so I will cope

ClarasBow Fri 19-Nov-10 11:28:03

I love the ironing idea.

I have an older one who's just about to do A Levels but he was always brilliant at just getting on with his homework and is still really disciplined. Oh and he has always got loads of homework in secondary school

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now