Talk

Advanced search

Starting full time at reception, why is it taking so long

(2 Posts)
BreakfastClub Mon 08-Nov-10 09:22:47

My DS starts full time reception this week, which I feel is quite late.
I have heard of some local schools which started full time before half term, one in the first week and I hear some won't go full time until January.
Why is it so varied and is it not best to get it done early to settle them in quickly rather then drag it out?

emptyshell Mon 08-Nov-10 10:15:09

One reason for the variation's probably the nature of the catchment areas. When I taught reception we started them ALL full-time straight away - but that was partially LEA policy (we didn't do a staggered Sept/Jan/sometimes Easter intake based on birth month like some do) and partially because it was a very rural Catholic primary, taking children from three parishes who were about 80% bussed into the site from the surrounding villages. Because of that (I think I had four kids who weren't on the buses home in that class) we didn't really have much of a choice.

They were all utterly knackered by the afternoon - had one little dot who'd regularly zonk out in the book corner on a beanbag - she also fell asleep in an assembly when the Head was droning on (I had a lot of sympathy cos the woman didn't half waffle right over the heads of the littlies) and by heck she didn't half snore!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: