(25 Posts)
veritythebrave Sat 25-Sep-10 19:47:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CarGirl Sat 25-Sep-10 20:06:31

I think you need to name change

verityisdelusional grin

Will have a think.....

minimathsmouse Sat 25-Sep-10 20:12:40

Hi, well done you. You must be very brave.

I would like to see spelling lists and homework on the schools website, so I can check DS is doing what he should be.

I would like more advance knowledge of special days/events/outings and an up to date list of inset days.

Resources and advice to help my child at home.

Hot school meals

Teachers, in classrooms teaching.

Free music lessons for all children from modest backgrounds. Tuition is hugely expensive and many children miss out.

CarGirl Sat 25-Sep-10 20:17:27

Some events that are just to encourage "community" that aren't just fund raising IYSWIM, children given opportunities to be responsible like running their own stalls at fairs etc.

People going in to teach them the traditional playground games and encouraging them to be played.

PatriciaHolm Sat 25-Sep-10 20:28:16

Me too! Quite daunting ;-)

Some things we've done the last few years to give you some ideas? (we raise about 12k a year)

- digital cameras for all classes
- outdoor stage
- drama/dance/music workshops
- uniforms for sports teams (and coats to wear whilst standing around at tournaments)
- stage lighting

Minimathsmouse - none of those are PTA responsibilities, at least at the schools I'm aware of, (except, possibly, funding music days etc) - you would need to raise those with the school directly!

Feenie Sat 25-Sep-10 20:28:34

Unfortunately, I'm not sure any of your wishes come within the remit of a PTA Chairperson, minimathsmouse, apart from possibly the music lessons, since PTAs exist solely to raise funds. Perhaps you could suggest some to the governors at your school?

Feenie Sat 25-Sep-10 20:30:24

Flip video cameras for classes would be fantastic - we've just been given them at our school and they are fantastic, and so easy for the children to use. They have so many uses, too!

CarGirl Sat 25-Sep-10 20:30:31

we've raised money for those interactive boards for each classroom. We also need to raise funds every year to keep the s*dding swimming pool going angry

wigglesrock Sat 25-Sep-10 20:33:59

We also raised money for interactive whiteboards for every classroom, paid for every pupils school trip this year and are raising money for school sports team uniforms ie netball bibs, football kits etc. Primary school by the way.

minimathsmouse Sat 25-Sep-10 20:36:10

Feenie, thank you, I think I will speak them about music. We have to pay for tuition, which is fine but what about parents who can not afford to. So yes Fennie, I will speak to PTA.

CarGirl Sat 25-Sep-10 20:37:27

Our LEA provides free music lessons for those in receipt of free school meals.

deepdarkwood Sat 25-Sep-10 20:37:28

Me too - well, I'm hoping (or maybe not hoping) to be voted in next month.

We're raising money this year for new outdoor equipment for nursery, and to build allotment areas for each class.

I'd also love to have a scooter rack, and to have a sheltered outside area for outside learning for each class.

Flip cameras is a fab idea - my mum (ex reception teacher) used to LOVE the ones in her classroom

PatriciaHolm Sat 25-Sep-10 21:10:25

Ah yes, scooter rack - this one comes up time and again! Apparently they are phenomenally expensive though!?

Ingles2 Sat 25-Sep-10 21:13:04

been there...
didn't manage it..
I wish you more luck grin

minimathsmouse Sat 25-Sep-10 21:32:59

Cargirl, ours doesn't. They only give a discount on the hire of a musical instrament. Seems sad that many children, may never realise a tallent that they may have.
The PTA at DS2's school have just paid for a large wooden bandstand type building for the reception playground. The kids were very excited about it. I wondered if was to keep the dinner ladies drygrinbut its a great outside shelter for the kids too.

Lots of outside play equip has been apearing. It seems that climbing is now to be encouraged. Son comes home most days with a "he has bumped his head" letter.

Mspontipine Sat 25-Sep-10 21:36:12

Don't act like the Queen. Ours did. Total weirdo power trip. Caused huge rifts and ill feeling.

Just remember - you're doing it for the children - to bring a little extra to their school experience :-)

minimathsmouse Sat 25-Sep-10 21:36:51

Christ, I seem to have completely lost the ability to spell, so I'm off.
I will look through my emails when I get time, one of the ED supplies companies, sent an email about these new super scooter stores, costing £1000, you can enter a competition to win one. Will find details if OP wants to know.

deaddei Sun 26-Sep-10 08:18:36

Congratulations verity.
I was chair for 2 years- loved it. We had a real hoot- had PTA meetings in people's houses with lots of wine, made it a real fun thing not "another committee meeting".
Also made it clear to parents, all we asked was maybe an hour of their time a year.
Regular updates on what we were raising money for/what had been bought.
Always buy something for year 6 to use or parents in that year group turn off.
I now do 2 secondary school PTAs {mad}

veritythebrave Sun 26-Sep-10 09:26:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

deaddei Sun 26-Sep-10 09:42:28

Acknowledge not all parents can attend meetings, but make them feel their comments/suggestions are valid- send out a questionaire to all parents asking what help they could give, do they work for a company which might sponsor/matchfund.
Social events- what would they come to- eg barn dance, auction of promises.

domesticsluttery Sun 26-Sep-10 18:26:42

Good Luck.

I finish my term as PTA secretary on Tuesday. I still haven't worked out how to get more parents actually involved. In fact I will hold my hands up and admit to not having managed to do half of what I intended.

collision Sun 26-Sep-10 18:30:37

Try and get each member of the PTA to come along and bring a friend from the year group that their child is in.

It did work for us and we have a nice group of Mums now tho am not sure if we have a chair person yet!

We have done

Bags to school

Film Night

Camp Night

Pamper Night

Kids on the catwalk

Cake sale every month

Ice cream sale every week in the summer

Christmas cards

Summer Fete

Xmas Fete

HTH

PatriciaHolm Sun 26-Sep-10 20:07:12

We hold meetings in the pub grin

amothersplaceisinthewrong Sun 26-Sep-10 20:11:28

Goood luck. You will probably find yourself organising everything....

unless you get a subcomittee for each "event", let them run it and you just sit back and chair the meetings.

Personally, I would rather have just given £X to the PTA each year instead of having to "support" bingo evenings and pamper evenings.

Ineedsomesleep Sun 26-Sep-10 20:56:26

Would like to get to know when the PTA meetings actually are, that's always a good start if you want people to come and yet our school finds that a bit difficult to grasp grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now