Talk

Advanced search

Explore Learning

(6 Posts)
GreatGooglyMoogly Sun 19-Sep-10 15:34:31

Has anyone enrolled their DC at Explore Learning and what did you think?

hopperdee Sun 19-Sep-10 16:53:32

My partner worked at the local Explore Learning until very recently (as experience in the run up to a pgce course). He found that it worked very well for some children and not so well for others eg. very young children seemed to be there as a babysitting service/stuggled with the computers/headphones etc. Some older children did really well though and improved on trouble areas/seemed to enjoy being there. It may not be ideal for extremely bright children who might get bored or benefit from a private tutor.

GreatGooglyMoogly Sun 19-Sep-10 17:13:16

Thanks hopperdee . DS1 is 6.5 and in Year 2. Not sure yet if his school will be doing SATs in May but he seems to have been a bit behind generally the whole time he's been at school so I thought Explore Learning might help.

IndigoBell Mon 20-Sep-10 09:44:09

If he needs help then it's actually a good thing if he fails his SATS because then he'll receive more help from school.

If you do a lot extra with him at home and he managed to scrape a pass or meet his expected targets then he won't get any extra help at school because they will assume they are doing a fine job of teaching him.

So I recommend do his homework with him, keep talking to school about your concerns, keep supporting school. But NOT getting a tutor and masking the problem. A 6 year old should not need a tutor.

hopperdee Mon 20-Sep-10 17:24:06

I actually agree with IndigoBell, 6 is a bit young and my partner found the best results were with the older children in that setting. Seems like too much pressure for a little one who has just started to learn/is likely to catch up with help from school/ and could spend free time playing!

Janacek Fri 22-Jul-11 20:51:06

DSs are yr 2&3 and have been at explore 9 months. They are both able but not super bright. The are at a good gr 1 ofsted primary and I had no reason to tutor them except I felt they could benefit from being stretched a bit. They havve both responded very well particularly in maths. Learnt their tables and seem to have a clearer understanding of how numbers work. If you can spare the money i think it helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now