Talk

Advanced search

Good primary schools state/private in Surrey

(59 Posts)
Siasl Sat 18-Sep-10 12:47:24

Hi

We've been considering moving out of SW London into the Elmbridge area of Surrey (Weybridge, Walton-on-Thames, Esher, Claygate, Cobham, Oxshott).

While we can find a decent selection of detached 4/5 bed houses to buy, we've become a bit concerned about schools. Our child is still less than 1 year old but we'd plan to stay for up to 10 years in the area.

Are there any top primary or prep schools in these areas (state or private)? Clearly there are some good ones but what about excellent?

Thanks

orienteerer Sat 18-Sep-10 12:52:09

Girl or boy? Single sex or co-ed?

cece Sat 18-Sep-10 12:56:17

All I will say is check very carefully whether living in a particular house will get you into a particular state school. I would advise phoning the school or surrey admissions if that is your sole reason for your choice.

Siasl Sat 18-Sep-10 12:58:04

We have a DD but plan to have another child soon. So we'd like to make sure there are schools for both sexes.

Siasl Sat 18-Sep-10 13:01:45

We're happy to look a single sex or co-ed. also look at both state and private schools.

cece Sat 18-Sep-10 13:03:01

I live just out of those ares near to Weybridge but I do overhear the Weybridge mums talking about how difficult it is to get into certain schools... For the life of me I can't remember the name of them though! Cargirl might be along soon, she knows more of these matters.

I am very happy with my DCs school but the secondary choices aren't so good but are fine iyswim

I think you should maybe look into the Merrow/Burpham area of Guildford. Several fab primaries and an excellent secondary!

cece Sat 18-Sep-10 13:03:41

What is your house bueget and I'll have a look...

cece Sat 18-Sep-10 13:06:52

Burpham

Siasl Sat 18-Sep-10 13:11:28

Guildford is not great for my DH in terms of commute time into Waterloo. He also wants to be able to walk/bike from house to rail station (he doesn't drive).

We already get the feeling there is no top secondary school either private or state in Weybridge.

House budget is £1-£2mm so not a problem to find something.

thighsmadeofcheddar Sat 18-Sep-10 13:11:34

I live in Weybridge and it is very difficult to get in to schools here unless you're on the doorstep. Particularly Oatlands which has just had an outstanding Ofsted. St Charles also has outstanding Ofsted but you need to be Catholic to get in and again live on the doorstep. The other "good" state schools are St James's and Mamby Lodge.

St Georges has a good reputation for a private school. A few friends send their children there and seem quite happy with it.

cece Sat 18-Sep-10 13:15:00

I hear the catholic secondary is popular in Weybridge. Salisians (sp)

Siasl Sat 18-Sep-10 13:17:56

Thanks Cece and thighsmadeofcheddar

Need to look at Oatlands and St Charles then.

People did recommend St Georges (I am Catholic though my DH is a confirmed atheist!). However, my DH noted that their A level results were the same as the crap comprehensive he went to - which completely put him off it!

cece Sat 18-Sep-10 13:59:35

I would just like to respectively say that if you and your DH can afford a million pound house then he did quite well on his secondary school education!

Siasl Sat 18-Sep-10 14:24:23

Cece

We're very lucky my DH's job allows us to afford a nice house (and without a mortage).
But that's why we need to get it right first time since the cost of buying a house at that price is astronomical (stamp duty at 4%!).

I'm not British so I don't understand the system here (seems immensely complicated) and my DH is state educated (only one in his whole family to get past O level/GCSE) so we have no experience of the private system.

It seems almost as though you need to decide where you want your children to do A levels at 18 and then work backwards all the way to nursery! It's just insane ... my DD is less than 1!

Cortina Sat 18-Sep-10 15:04:57

There are some excellent private schools for girls around Godalming, Bramley etc. St Catherines is one which goes from nursery to 18 I believe. I have a friend who lives around Cobham and her kids get bussed in.

Premier league results at St Cats etc. Other options which are less academic too.

If you can afford it comfortably I'd be tempted to go down this route.

snorkie Sat 18-Sep-10 15:31:51

State schools: Esher Church primary always had a good reputation and on the private side Milbourne Lodge is very academic, lots like Rowan for girls. Claygate or Esher would place you well for any of them. In that area you can also take train to Guildford, Surbiton or Wimbledon for better secondary schools - private at least - there may be good state secondaries too, but I imagine you'd need to live nearer to get in. Kingston, if you can get there has first rate state grammars (but rather a lottery to get places).

Siasl Sat 18-Sep-10 15:44:14

Kingston has grammer schools? I thought Surrey has got rid of all of them?

Siasl Sat 18-Sep-10 15:47:29

Snorkie

Thanks ... I check out the ones you mention in Esher.

We're living in Wimbledon Village so we've got a good idea that it has some very good schools nearby. But I'm not sure we'd see much point moving out to then sent out children back! We really want to get our family away from London.

LittleCheesyPineappleOne Sat 18-Sep-10 15:52:15

The comprehensive in Weybridge is Heathside - it's got a good review in the Good Schools Guide if you're a subscriber. Catchment area is on the website. Sends children to Oxbridge, good 6th form.

As you're Catholic you also have Salesian School in Chertsey which is a co-ed state Catholic comp. Has a 6th form.

Privately, St George's College in Weybridge is a co-ed Catholic independent from 4-18 with a good reputation. For girls, you have Sir William Perkins in Chertsey (11-18), always high in the league tables. For boys, you have to look a little further - Hampton School in Kingston has children from N Surrey, Royal Grammar School in Guildford. Both for high flying boys. For less academic boys you have Halliford School in Shepperton. Lots of good indies in Guildford for Girls too. St James School for Boys (Ind) has just opened in Ashford Middx, but do read widely as it has an 'interesting' philosophy.

snorkie Sat 18-Sep-10 15:57:48

Tiffin schools are state grammars of the 'super-selective' variety.

I communted Claygate-Wimbledon for my secondary education and lots of others did similar journeys. If you are living close to the station and chose a school not too far the other end then it's really not much different to taking a bus to school.

That said, I've ruled out long school commutes for my own dc on the grounds of importance of quality of life - absolutely no point living somewhere nice if you are never there to appreciate it.

wools Sat 18-Sep-10 17:22:28

As you're catholic, St Charles Borromeo in Weybridge has an excellent reputation if you are looking for a good state primary. Although you will have to go to church regularly as well as live very close to the school. I've also heard very good things about St George's in Weybridge. In Walton, a very good state catholic school is Cardinal Newman. Salesians secondary school is very good too. Heathside as others have mentioned has a very good reputation. Esher CofE also excellent.....quite a lot of choice in my opinion.

CarGirl Sat 18-Sep-10 17:32:44

St Georges is a great pprimary & secondary school if you have academically able children and can afford the fees.

St. James primary again does well and is a feeder to Heathside one of the best state secondaries in this area.

TBH there is going to be a HUGE shortage of infant places over the next few years in Surrey that would be my main concern!

CarGirl Sat 18-Sep-10 17:34:51

Claygate leaves you with no state secondary school - huge outcry about this - again shortage of state places.

There is a shortage of Junior places in Weybridge too - some dc are being shipped out to Addlestone for junior school confused

PatriciaHolm Sat 18-Sep-10 18:43:19

We did all this research about 18m ago, and we ended up in Epsom;

- some great state primaries
- good secondaries (single sex ex grammars plus a good co-ed)
- good commute (my DH also goes to Waterloo, it's about 25-30 mins; he cycles to the station and sometimes from Waterloo to Canary Wharf too)

We are surrounded by good private schools too - Kingswood for boys, City of London Freemens, Downsend, Ewell Castle. Or the Kingston Grammars if you want to go that way.

PatriciaHolm Sat 18-Sep-10 18:46:33

PS - Kingston Grammar is a private selective school, not a state grammar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now