Talk

Advanced search

Earrings and school swimming

(47 Posts)
lexcat Wed 08-Sep-10 21:43:18

Dd had her ears pieced about a month ago. Today she had swimming with school and was told earrings had to be removed. Dd tried even though she knew they should be left in for a few more weeks. Lucky they didn't come out.

So went swimming and was told they have to be removed for next weeks swimming. I know that they have to be taped or removed for games/pe but swimming, why? Plus dd has been told she can't tape them for swimming as the tape will fall off.

lexcat Wed 08-Sep-10 22:05:38

Anyone

Hulababy Wed 08-Sep-10 22:09:09

In many schools it is the norm that all jewelery must be removed before any PE or sports lesson. If it cant come out then our children have to sit out and not join in.

In DD's school all except a watch are banned full stop at any time.

I don't know the reason for swimming, but presumably under their general PE rule.

How old is your DD? Will she be able to remove them herself in a couple of weeks once they have passed the 6 week mark?

TimothyTigerTuppennyTail Wed 08-Sep-10 22:12:57

With swimming it's for safety reasons.If an earring was to come out it could easily be swallowed by another child. If you think about it does make sense.

jellybeans Wed 08-Sep-10 22:14:27

I would write a note saying she can't take them out till the 6 weeks are up. If they won't let her tape them up she will have to sit out until then. My girls went swimming a few days after their piercings and were fine with them in although they always took them out at school as we had luckily had them done mid july.

pooka Wed 08-Sep-10 22:17:10

DD starts swimming with the school next week. We had the consent forms yesterday, including a long list of rules.

Definitely NO earrings. Also, swimming caps must be worn.

I think it's pretty common. Maybe they're worried the earrings will fall out and get lost (in the filter)? Not sure why the rule is there - but just saying it's not uncommon.

scurryfunge Wed 08-Sep-10 22:22:04

That is why schools ask that ears are pierced at the beginning of the school holidays....there shouldn't be any debate then about taking them out.

elphabaisgreen Wed 08-Sep-10 22:26:34

Agree with everyone else. At dd's school no earrings or other jewellery other than a wristwatch at any time.

MoreCrackThanHarlem Wed 08-Sep-10 22:27:32

I thought the no earrings rule was due to large amounts of children throwing their arms around and kicking their legs in close proximity to each other

She'll have to sit out if they cannot be removed.

lexcat Wed 08-Sep-10 22:29:31

She's 9 so can't see any problem with her been able to remove the earrings. I did talk to the local pool to see if there was any H&S issuses with swimming and earrings none that they were aware of.

I have no problem with dd sitting out of swimming as she swims 3 times a week hates school swimming. So why was she expect to take her earrings out even after telling the teacher that they still were healing.

MoreCrackThanHarlem Wed 08-Sep-10 22:30:30

Meant to add- risk of earring being pulled and earlobe torn

elphabaisgreen Wed 08-Sep-10 22:32:48

Be thankful lexcat, at dd's school she would probably have been sent home until the earrings could be removed.

lexcat Wed 08-Sep-10 22:33:31

Sorry yes in the playground very slight risk but in a swimming lesson earlobe been torn how?

Hulababy Wed 08-Sep-10 22:35:48

Maybe it is just the school rule and is treated exactly the same as the other school sports and PE lessons, and obviously tape cant be sued as it will fall off.

As already said it is a very common school rule.

lexcat Wed 08-Sep-10 22:38:30

Nothing is say about having to have ear done at the start of the summer hoildays. Studs are allowed at the school and a child can tape ears for pe/games. As several of dd friends have done in the past for games/pe.

MoreCrackThanHarlem Wed 08-Sep-10 22:39:27

'I thought the no earrings rule was due to large amounts of children throwing their arms around and kicking their legs in close proximity to each other'

As above.

Ears best pierced at start of school holidays IMO

kennythekangaroo Wed 08-Sep-10 22:41:57

At our school there is also the risk of them piercing the pool liner if they came out.

I've known a child hit with a netball whose pierced ear got infected and a friend has taught a girl who caught an earring on a crash mat, and ripped her earlobe, yuk.

MoreCrackThanHarlem Wed 08-Sep-10 22:46:21

Do you or dd tape her ears?
If not, it falls to the teacher and is a pita. The time wasted messing with tape and earlobes is annoying, particularly if there are lots of freshly pierced ears to deal with

Goblinchild Wed 08-Sep-10 22:48:17

Very common school rule for any sporting activity.
Almost as common as the parent insisting that it is unreasonable to expect their little princess to keep to the same rules as everyone else.

lexcat Wed 08-Sep-10 22:50:30

I or dd would tape her ears at the start of the day to save the hassle of doing it at school. Which is what I'm planing to do for PE days.

lexcat Wed 08-Sep-10 22:57:07

Fine have the rules but please don't keep them to yourself let parents and children know about them before it becomes a problem. Finding out as your going to swimming is a bit late really.

I mean I could have held off the ear piecing tell after her 1/2 term of swimming and dd could just taped them for 6 weeks instead.

MoreCrackThanHarlem Wed 08-Sep-10 22:57:51

Tape won't work in the pool though.
What if an earring cones out and is stood on by a child who hurts their foot?

It's a sensible rule imo
Why didn't you get them done sooner so your dd could just take them out?
I'm not sure taping ears is that effective, anyway

A girl in my class was hit on the ear today with a basket ball, her earlobe was very red, if it had been pierced it would have been worse.

If thems the rules, you gotta suck it up

Goblinchild Wed 08-Sep-10 23:00:16

Isn't it in your school's PE policy?

lexcat Wed 08-Sep-10 23:24:31

Under uniform 'Studs can be worn but must be removed for PE or games'. No mention of swimming plus dd has been told by staff she can tape them for pe and games till they heal which is common place in the school again to mention of swimming.

I didn't think to get them done right at the start of the holidays as I has no idea their would be a problem.

If she wore a swim hat would that work as it won't fall off.

Mspontipine Thu 09-Sep-10 00:13:10

I got hit really hard on my newly pierced ear by a fruit pastel thrown at it. Bloody killed but was impressed by accuracy of throw!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now