Talk

Advanced search

Water in school

(79 Posts)
Euphemia Tue 31-Aug-10 15:46:49

angry
I'd like to meet the bright spark who decided that school children should all have water bottles ...
(Is this the case across the UK?)
I'm a supply teacher in Scotland and when I go into classes I'm driven mad by the constant slurp slurp slurp at bottles, with kids attached to the bottles like a dummy. THEN they need the loo every 5 mins THEN they spill the damn stuff across the desks ...
I make the kids leave the bottles on the side, and have ONE drink when they come in, ONE after breaktime and lunchtime and ONE after PE.
Then there are the kids who pretend they're having water whereas in fact their darling parents have filled the bottle with Irn Bru ...
I'm sure it's true that adequate hydration is important to learning, but FFS ... angry

elphabaisgreen Tue 31-Aug-10 15:52:24

At dd's school the water bottles have to be sent in empty. They are then filled each day by whoevers turn it is from the water cooler.

So no surreptitious other drinks. It seems to work well, if the kids are relly thirsty they will drink water

sereka Tue 31-Aug-10 15:54:05

Lol @ at the irn bru comment. i can feel your pain. My daughter is going into reception in spetember and i was told to bring an extra water bottle also. we are in harrow...think its the case across the UK yes.

clam Tue 31-Aug-10 15:57:32

I don't allow my class to slurp constantly from their bottles. They are kept on the side and they can have a swig before/after break, or if they particularly need one mid-lesson so long as it's not when I'm specifically teaching. Not kept on work desks for the reason you mention, too many spills, even with flip-tops.

No problem.

Euphemia Tue 31-Aug-10 15:58:14

I send my own DD to school with an empty bottle as there were too many accidents with the top coming off in her schoolbag and the homework, reading book, etc. getting ruined!

When I was a student on placement the school provided pupils with a water bottle which was to be kept in school and filled each morning: problem was, no-one ever washed them and they had to get chucked out when one pupil piped up "Miss, there's ants in my water bottle!" grin

spanieleyes Tue 31-Aug-10 16:00:04

Similar to clam, before or after lessons, not during unless we have come to a "break". And we supply each child with a clear water bottle so we can see what's in it!

Galena Tue 31-Aug-10 17:05:50

Yep - on the side, drink at breaks or during lessons as long as a) I am not directly teaching and b) there are no more than 2 people out of seats at any one time!

We had clear water bottles provided. Used to soak them in milton every weekend.

However, I don't personally have a problem with a child drinking squash as it still hydrates them. Much preferred it when they all brought their own bottles with whatever they liked to drink in.

clam Tue 31-Aug-10 17:10:40

The trouble with them bringing squash or whatever in, is that the inevitable leaks lead to sticky floors, stained carpets and plagues of ants.

Still get some mums complaining that their pfb child must have squash/fruitshoots/tango/whatever as "they don't like water."
How can you not like water? What's not to like? hmm

Acinonyx Tue 31-Aug-10 17:37:36

Just to give the alternative view here - some dc - like mine - are very poor at drinking enough water. We had really drastic problems in the hot weather due to this - severe constipation - and one day she passed out.

I need tot alk to her new teacher about this but I'm not sure how to go about it.

Runoutofideas Tue 31-Aug-10 17:45:50

I was a parent helper in my dd's reception class last year. I was often given a group who were finding number work particularly difficult. It was noticeable that when a child was asked to play a game which they found a bit tricky, they would say they needed a drink and wander off to the drinks box for a few minutes as a stalling tactic. I was not allowed to tell them they couldn't drink, or that they should wait 5 minutes before going to the loo, so often the children I was supposed to be helping were wandering about and avoiding the task in hand (which was always a game so supposedly "fun"!). What can teachers do to avoid this happening?

PixieOnaLeaf Tue 31-Aug-10 17:50:39

Message withdrawn

schilke Tue 31-Aug-10 17:55:23

I can see it could be a hassle, but it's been great for ds2. He is a reluctant drinker, but on school days his water bottle comes home empty. They can only drink at certain times and the bottle are not on their desks.

At Dd1's school the bottles are on the side too, not on the desks.

mrz Tue 31-Aug-10 17:56:09

We don't have drinks bottles as we have chilled water dispensers (type you'd find in offices) in the snack area in reception and shared areas in KS1&2.

Feenie Tue 31-Aug-10 18:12:19

We have water fountains in clasrooms - same deal as others, before and after lessons, during if very thirsty and I am not directly teaching.

mycomment Wed 01-Sep-10 22:18:44

New school tomo and they have a rule that no bottles of any sort are to be brought in - carton drinks only are allowed for morning break. Its really annoying as I only want to send him in with water not the sugary stuff in cartons. Plus the cost of this every day is prohibitive (and to the environment). Am guessing its a silly rule to avoid annoyance at spills in bags or to make teachers lives easier not having to deal with the bottles in class. Incidentally they also have a rule banning oranges and other citrus fruit!

Galena Thu 02-Sep-10 08:45:06

I'm guessing that water will be available for those without carton drinks? They cannot expect children to go through the day with just one carton drink, so I assume that water is therefore freely available. Hence, if you just want him to have water, don't send in a carton.

Oranges are a nuisance (speaking as a teacher) if the children cannot peel them themselves. However, if they can peel them, I don't see a problem.

mrz Thu 02-Sep-10 09:17:38

Our children are only allowed drink cartons if they have a packed lunch and they must drink it with lunch nothing at break times other than what school provides.
Water is freely available at all times

Gubbins Thu 02-Sep-10 10:19:58

Is this all related to that 'Brain Gym' hogwash and their bonkers ideas about hydration? My daughter's school has not signed up for it, thank god, and the kids seem to manage just fine only having access to water fountains at breaktimes and lunchtime.

mrz Thu 02-Sep-10 11:54:29

Gubbins it has to do with small children having nothing to drink from 8am until 4pm and becoming dehydrated I don't think that is hogswash or bonkers especially in the hot weather we had earlier this year.

Gubbins Thu 02-Sep-10 15:20:17

As I say, they have access to water at breaktimes and lunchtime. There is absolutley no need for them to have water bottles constantly available throughout the day, on their desks as the OP has come across. They're sitting in Scottish classrooms, not treking across the Sahara, how dehydrated do you think they can get?

sarah293 Thu 02-Sep-10 15:22:09

Message withdrawn

mrz Thu 02-Sep-10 15:28:55

Extremely dehydrated Gubbins and I don't "think" I'm talking from experience.
250 children all wanting a drink from the water fountain in a 15 minute break ... hmm
that's if the school have breaks

SaliMali1 Thu 02-Sep-10 16:36:19

Yes they do need hidration but I tell you what it needs very strickt handling ie only at play time,fruit time and lunch time.

We have a dishwasher in school so our are washed.

brassband Thu 02-Sep-10 16:47:54

My DD2 suffers a lot from kidney infections.She has to drink a huge amount of water every day to keep her 'waterworks flushed out .It IS important for her and many other children who do need to consume a lot of water to have access to it allthe time.
I don't like water bottles though.Especially not clear ones.I don't think it is good to drink water which has been standing about all day in a hot classroom and sunlight 9on drinking water is a big no-no water coolers are well known for being harbouring germsA tap and each child having their own cup is a lot better idea

mrz Thu 02-Sep-10 17:05:08

I had two children in my class last year with kidney infections which the doctor said had been aggravated by inadequate fluid intake and I had to remind them every half hour to drink a cup of water.
By the time a child feels thirsty they may already be dehydrated which is why in hot, dry or windy days or when they have been running around a lot they should be encouraged to drink regularly even if they don't feel thirsty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now