Talk

Advanced search

Rosemary Works School & nursery, N1

(18 Posts)
Boddelina Sun 01-Aug-10 12:01:07

My daughter has just left the school. She had a lovely time in the nursery. However, when the director emailed to say she "would be very interested to hear" of our experiences as we "always value parental feedback" I did. The result is that my son's offer of a place at the nursery has been withdrawn. Clearly the management only value positive feedback. If you are remotely critical or point out any inadequacies be careful that your child isn't excluded.

IndigoBell Sun 01-Aug-10 18:24:15

Wow! Is this a private school?

autodidact Sun 01-Aug-10 18:37:34

Complain?

Boddelina Sun 01-Aug-10 19:42:48

It's an independent school with no governing body.

IndigoBell Sun 01-Aug-10 20:53:26

Hmmm. The benefits of a state education.....

Rosebud05 Sun 01-Aug-10 21:46:49

Were you intending your son to go to the nursery, but not the school? Wouldn't it be easier for him to go to a nursery attached to the school that he'll go to?

1234abcd Mon 02-Aug-10 14:30:46

You are not the only family to have had a bad experience at this school. The nursery is a very pleasant experience for child and parent, but the school feels very badly run. My son started at Rosemary Works when he was six months and I was very concerned about moving him, but got to the point where I could no longer feel happy about keeping him there. Had I known how much greener the grass is on the other side, I would have moved his school much earlier.

veryworriedme Mon 16-Aug-10 09:38:16

My son is 5 months old and i was thinking about registering for RW for a few months time. 1234 are you saying the nursery is good and that it was the school you were not happy to keep your son at? why and what school have you found that is better? Boddelina, what were your concerns? did they say why they had withdrawn your sons place?

primrosehill23 Thu 14-Oct-10 23:09:10

My daughter is a happy, confident 10 year old, who has been at the nursery and school, and loved just about every minute, since she was two and a half.

mattpaint Fri 15-Oct-10 17:49:22

My child is in the junior school at RW. I would not recommend this school to anyone above year 1. Whilst the school has some good points I have been extremely unhappy with the level of teaching , at times it has been dreadful. We have had 4 different head teachers in 6 years.
I wish we had chosen somewhere else.

annalouise2 Mon 10-Jan-11 11:58:50

I felt like I should jump in here - I think that the brief, negative statements above create quite a misleading impression. We have had a great experience at both the nursery and school. The school is small, the teachers dedicated and enthusiastic - and we feel privileged that our daughter has had such a lovely start to her education. It is a small school, all the kids know each other - not just those in their year. If you are after a big, institutional school experience, this is not the place for you - but if you are interested in a nurturing environment - where there is focus on each individual child, and where education is taken seriously, I really don't think you can beat it. The school received its latest OFSTED in December, not sure if it is out yet - but it is accurate - and if anything, it sells the school a bit short.

Flolene Wed 09-Feb-11 11:55:36

I'm sorry to hear that there are some disgruntled people out there about their experience of Rosemary Works School. My view is that they provide very good, holistic education. My children attend the school and are happy, intelligent (socially, emotionally, physically and mentally) people. What separates Rosemary Works from other schools is that the emphasis on a personalised service is unique. The dedicated teachers are always available to discuss your children's individual needs pretty much 24/7 - I have emailed my son's teacher late at night and been pleasantly surprised that they have responded immediately. Also, I like the village feel of the school - it reminds me of my rural primary experience and it's perfect that my children can have what I had within the city. People have told me that Rosemary Works is going through some very positive changes. If you are looking for a school where your child will be well nurtured, well educated and well looked after, then look no further. If, on the other hand, you are looking for something more industrial and corporate, then keep looking. Also, as a busy parent I appreciate its 8am - 6pm 50 weeks of the year care safe in the knowledge that my children are safe and happy.

misskeith Wed 09-Feb-11 12:34:32

Welcome to MN, two new posters with only one post each!

Dolly534 Mon 14-Feb-11 14:48:47

We are just about to start the nursery so can let you know how it goes

ConfusedInNorthLondon Wed 16-Mar-11 00:42:47

My son went to the Rosemary Works EYC (nursery) for a year when he was 2 and I only have positive things to say about it. The environment is warm, friendly and loving. The staff are truly welcoming and the general atmosphere is upbeat and dynamic and a lot of fun! There is delicious vegetarian food, plenty of outings to local parks, weekly music session etc, etc. My son made excellent progress and learned loads while he was there.

I should mention that at one point I did feel that they had a bit of an issue with staff turnover (or just absences) but looking back I think it may have been a just blip. I have moved him to another nursery in Islington (which fortunatley turned out to be as lovely as RW, but in a different way) because it is closer to my work and makes life much easier, but am now considering enrolling him in the RW school as I really like the fact that the Rosemary Works community is so family-like and intimate.

My only concern regarding Rosemary Works is the location and the immediate surroundings (the school is basically on a housing estate). I feel it really sticks out - this lovely well-kept school in what is basically a pretty rough area. That makes me uncomfortable as I feel the gap between the privileged kids receiving private education at RW and the general depravity of the local area is problematic. I know it's a general London issue but in this case I feel it is pretty extreme and worth mentioning as it's real and will affect one's experience of the school.

kowloonmum Wed 18-May-11 02:34:45

Miss Keith, I'm fairly new to Mumsnet. How did you find that out?

Any other feedback about this school? We are moving to Central London this Summer and I need to get my skates on to try and find somewhere decent for the new school year!

wewontbebulliedanymore Thu 10-Apr-14 14:34:12

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Geyserbonanza Tue 07-Mar-17 20:03:57

Anyone hopping onto this thread now would be very misled by the negative views of seven years ago. My child has been at the school for five years and I have absolutely no complaints. The head teacher has been at the school for seven years and I believe this is why views are so positive now. It is a vibrant, friendly school where the pupils' achievements are celebrated weekly, they engage in cross phase collaborations in democratic and enrichment time. Being a close knit school, it really does have a villagey feel unlike the local large mainstream schools my friends' children attend where the pupils don't even know all the children in their Year group let alone the school.
Academically my child is exceeding expectation and this is no doubt down to the small class sizes and the exceptional care and commitment from really lovely teachers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now