12 yo DD, help!

(11 Posts)
BaconAndAvocado Tue 18-May-21 11:13:03

I have two older sons and it was never like this!

She has changed from a loving, sweet, hardworking child into a stroppy, at times very rude and uncaring girl.

I try and be patient but I sometimes lose it with her.

She is in Year 8 and, although she took a while to settle in Year 7 and then the breaks from school life, she has a good group of friends.

I know the teenage years are supposed to be tricky but she’s not even 13 yet and I’m struggling.

OP’s posts: |
Nyfluff Tue 18-May-21 11:14:53

In my experience it gets a lot better around 15 flowers

BaconAndAvocado Tue 18-May-21 13:06:33

So 3 years to go!!!

BaconAndAvocado Tue 18-May-21 13:07:15

She hasn't started her periods and I wonders whether and/or how that will change things???

Hellcatspangle Tue 18-May-21 13:21:57

Just because she hasn't started her periods doesn't mean she's not hormonal...maybe she is about to start soon and it will settle down when she does. When did she start being like this?

BaconAndAvocado Tue 18-May-21 14:55:58

It started to escalate a few months ago.
I find I'm always walking on eggshells around her in case I say the wrong thing or dh t say the right thing.
It makes me so sad to say this but it honestly makes spending time with her difficult as it's often fraught.
I really want to be close to her but I can't see how.

BaconAndAvocado Wed 19-May-21 14:54:22

Bump

Advertisement

Mamamia35 Wed 19-May-21 17:23:54

Mine is 11 and exactly the same. Tired of getting my head bitten off. It's not pleasant. And I'm peri menopausal so a hormonal catastrophe all round. I feel your pain.

BaconAndAvocado Wed 19-May-21 18:43:59

Mamania I'm also peri menopausal. It's a bloody nightmare 😳

Mamamia35 Sat 22-May-21 10:22:46

BaconAndAvocado for yourself, it's worth listening to the Louise Newson podcasts. Inform yourself and enquire about HRT from your doctor. I've been on it a few months and can notice a difference in my body.

Pinkyxx Mon 24-May-21 08:48:04

@BaconAndAvocado I'm having the exact same experience right now, and for the last I'd say 10 months. Mine's year 7... just started her periods a couple of months ago.

It's just awful, literally walking on egg shells and having my head bitten off non-stop. I've tried to ask what it is I'm doing which is bothering her quite so much & how I can help, but she doesn't know what it is, and feels no one can help - she's just a ball of angry/sad emotion. It's quite frankly heart breaking to watch, and be a part of.

I'm hoping some wise MN's will come along with words of wisdom and I've run out of ideas as well..

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in