Helping ds11 confidence

(2 Posts)
Moneypenny007 Sat 05-Oct-19 09:48:47

Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone has been through a similar situation. Our ds is 11, he is our oldest so no big amount of experience with us here. Our upbringings were a different experience and we dont really rely on what we went through in parenting our boys.

Anyway, ds11 has had years of anxiety and is generally a quiet lad. But lately I have been trying to get him to try new things. He wouldn't leave the xbox (which his access to is monitored) if he got the chance.
I signed him up to do judo classes with his agreement and he was to start on Wednesday evening past. He went in ok, started the class fine all was ok. I left with the intention of picking him up after the hour class. Unfortunately he was unable to do the moves first go and he started to cry.
We had to go back and pick him up.
He just has such low confidence in himself and I don't know how to help him.
He was diagnosed dyslexic last year and since then he has been struggling.
He had another experience when he went go karting and couldn't get the car going and refused to take part...at his mates birthday party.

Any suggestions as to how we can boost his confidence or help him?

OP’s posts: |
Mom22boys Wed 06-Nov-19 21:13:19

Hi
My son is 11. Very quiet, not shy, just reserved. He has good friends, is liked, but is not (yet) the leader, my believe is slow and steady surmounts most things. I found that a hobby that he could control his success at really helped. The past year he has got into drones and remote control aircraft. I actually managed to replace his PS4 with these. This helped massively as it got him outside and gave him a talking point with adults ...who then saw an opportunity to converse which then reinforce his newly found confidence and sense of worth.
X

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in