Parents of LGBTQ children

(4 Posts)
user1495135532 Mon 01-Jul-19 15:07:11

Hello Mumsnet,

I hope I'm in the right place to ask this, if not can you direct me to a more relevant board. My daughter has recently come out to me and she is due to start secondary school in September. I wanted to have advice about how to talk to her about her sexuality. I'm also concerned about how to talk to her about prejudices that she may come across, I think we currently live in a bit of a bubble but of course there are times when she may face discrimination. Additionally, I can't seem to find any fiction books for her age group 11-12yrs that have LGBT themes. She loves to read and so I would like her to be able to identify with characters like her. Any other advice welcome.

Thank you

OP’s posts: |
AnyaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 03-Jul-19 12:21:34

Hi there OP,

We're just giving this a little bump for you in case anyone that can help sees this. flowers

bellinisurge Thu 04-Jul-19 18:43:28

My nephew came out as gay when he was about 16. I think he had a bit of a rough ride getting to that point - not from his parents who are lovely. I think he just beat himself up metaphorically speaking. Just let her be her. She doesn't have to have a label. As for books? I genuinely don't know. I suspect there is some difficulty writing about the sexuality side of being gay for people so young.

Georgiemcgeorgeface Thu 04-Jul-19 18:51:31

Hi OP. My DS came out soon after starting secondary school. I think you'll find most schools or certainly children that age are very accepting and open about different sexualities. More so than I ever imagined.
Resources are very limited aren't they for that age group (and for parents of that age group!) so I can't point you in any direction I'm afraid as I struggled to find anything myself. Just reassure her and keep loving her the same. She'll be fine at school.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in