7 year old angry with being told what to do

(2 Posts)
JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 06-Jul-18 07:58:45

That does sound hard OP and you have my total sympathy. Is his Dad around, what’s he doing in all of this?

The first thing I’d do is do a picture timeline of his day. So start with what time he gets up and then what things he has to do before you leave the house. Once you’ve done it all, out it up in his bedroom.

Our DD wasn’t getting ready in the mornings and was fancying around and arguing. We told her that if she was ready for 30 minutes before we left the house, completely ready with school bags, shoes etc by the door, she coukd watch tv. That seemed to work for her.

If you are really tired, are you looking after yourself too? smile

Reginaadams Fri 06-Jul-18 06:52:50

Hey all,
My 7 yo son has huge tantrums over everything from getting up to breakfast time, lunch time, brushing his teeth, right to going to bed at night which is usually the worst one. I'm so drained from it everyday is a long battle and I don't why it's like this with him I don't remember my 13 yo daughter being this difficult at all. He just refuses to do what he's told or makes excuses to delay it, his newest thing at night is saying he's scared about something. No matter how much I talk to him to calm him it makes no difference he just wants to get his own way and it ends up he starts shouting and banging doors etc and I stay calm as long as I can but then I react to it because I'm so tired and I know I shouldn't react but it's so hard not to when it's every night and sometimes several arguments a day. I don't think it's the same for everyone else who has a 7 yo surely. It's got to the stage where I dread coming home to whatever argument will await me. He's great in school and in other people's houses. He throws a few tantrums in his grandparents house alright but we definitely get the worst of it. I'm at my wits end.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in