Spots/ blackheads at 9 yrs old

(5 Posts)
debs1602 Fri 02-Feb-18 10:54:54

My daughter is 9 and recently developed spots along her hairline, some quite big and angry looking. Also blackheads around her nose. She has to wash her hair every other day as it gets quite greasy and she is wearing deodorant as she has developed body odour. She is obviously going into puberty quite early on, and I also had terrible acne, but not until 15/16. I really feel for her, sometimes she mentions it, “why do I have spots?”...also a couple of boys in her class have highlighted it to her. I just wondered if anyone else has experienced early puberty and any gentle remedies for the spots/ blackheads. I have bought a clear skin scrub which unfortunately brought her out in a rash😞 as it was clearly too harsh.

OP’s posts: |
charlottexox Fri 02-Feb-18 11:52:06

Hiya,
I started periods at 11 but I seem to find girls are going through puberty earlier these days. I would definitely suggest tea tree oil for the angry spots! I used it on mine as well as on keloid scars I've had on piercings.
I found clear skin formula made my skin dry out and made it worse, I don't think it's all cracked out to what it's supposed to be!

tea4two4three Fri 02-Feb-18 12:06:56

I was about 9/10yrs old when I started puberty I remember being so embarrassed by the blackheads and stretch marks in particular. In my 30s now and still have acne of the horrible cystic kind, so hormone related.

I would recommend she gets a face cleanser which says either gentle or sensitive on. Scrubbing at them just makes it worse. The best I've found are no 7 soft and soothed cleanser or cetaphil gentle skin cleanser and a sensitive moisturiser - Oil of Olay do one as does cetaphil. Then once or twice a week use a glycolic toner, the ordinary does one, to get rid of the dead skin and sebum without scrubbing. If she does get spots and gives them a squeeze then use a liquid bandaid, such as germolene new skin, on top soon after to keep it from getting infected. Then I recommended you choose so good, non comedogenic makeup together to help cover up and improve her confidence.

Don't go for the cheap teenage options as they are too harsh. If the breakouts get worse you can get a cream such as panoxil but it's vile stuff that disintegrates the skin. Try the gentle cleansing approach first.

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Fri 02-Feb-18 14:35:28

Another acne sufferer here recommending gentle face wash. I use a No 7 one too.

misscph1973 Fri 02-Feb-18 14:41:35

I would suggest a good fish oil tablet, possibly some vitamin B6 (she might be a bit young for that) and a good probiotic. Make sure she has plenty of fresh veg in her diet.

Try the oil cleansing method. Did wonders for my adult acne (I had terrible acne as a teen as well).

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in