Talk

Advanced search

Teaching 9 year old about puberty/sex

(8 Posts)
Bubblegum89 Thu 14-Dec-17 17:55:31

My daughter is 9 and since the summer, she’s started going through the early stages of puberty. She has boobs coming in and she has awful BO! She’s having to wash twice as much and wear deodorant. She kind of knows girls get periods but she doesn’t know why or really what to expect when she gets hers. She’s mentioned sex a couple of times although she doesn’t know what it is (just a word she heard at school) I’m thinking now would be a good time to have “the chat” with her.

My parents never had the talk with me. I used my friend’s pads for months when I started my periods because I was too embarrassed to ask my mum. Sex wasn’t even mentioned in our house. I don’t want it to be like that for my daughter. I want her to fully understand what’s changing with her body and why. But what’s the best way to start that conversation?? Do I just sit her down and start talking about it? Once I start talking, I’ll be fine but I don’t know how to start it off!

SardineJam Thu 14-Dec-17 17:58:57

Does she know about you and your periods? I have been very open since my DSs were small and the reason why I have a period.
DS1 will be 9 next year and am also curious about when the sex questions will start...

SardineJam Thu 14-Dec-17 18:04:13

In terms of periods I have explained that every month my body makes a space for a baby to grow and because we aren't having any more babies my body gets rid of that space because if it stayed inside me it would make me unhealthy and they have accepted that, no question about how a baby would actually get into the space...
I do wonder if I should broach the sex topic with DS1 before he asks so that when he does have questions he feels that he can ask without being embarrassed

Bubblegum89 Thu 14-Dec-17 18:04:35

She knows what a period is, as in it’s what happens every month when you don’t get pregnant and that it’s perfectly normal and nothing to be worried about and her response was “wow cool, I can’t wait to have mine!” Lol. She’s known this for a while now but I feel like now she’s starting the early stages of puberty herself, now is the best time to have a proper in-depth conversation about it. She has friends with much older siblings so she picks things up off them but I’d rather all the sex talk stuff came from me (or at least the important stuff!)

Dozer Thu 14-Dec-17 18:05:26

Books!

SardineJam Thu 14-Dec-17 18:07:19

I'd personally rather tell them than them finding out from a book because through a book they'll feel they can't approach me with future questions. Also they might not understand the content of books

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Fri 22-Dec-17 19:15:17

I bought the Usborne book What’s Happening to Me and asked her if she wanted me to read it too her, read it together or on her own. Think we did a bit together then she read the rest on her own. We’ve looked as pads and tampons too.

I’d just get the book, tell her you’ve bought it and let that start the conversation smile

Mrmoonmrmoon Fri 22-Dec-17 19:16:40

Try the Operation Ouch puberty special on CBBC

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: