Talk

Advanced search

11yr old Daughter struggling to make friends

(5 Posts)
Paulajc Tue 14-Nov-17 10:19:41

My youngest daughter has just moved up to upper school 2 of her primary friends are in her class, but they aren't being as friendly as they were at primary.
My daughter is dyslexic but happy and playful, it breaks my heart she is struggling with friendships. She is already a Scout and goes to a Water polo training session once a week.
We live in Bradford/Halifax border. Does anybody have any suggestions or free/cheap groups she could attend? Or any strategies for making friends please?
Thank you for any help/replies/advice.

niknac1 Tue 14-Nov-17 10:29:03

You can have a look at the activities run at sports centres run by your local council, they are sometimes cheaper than commercially run activities such as dance which we found to be very expensive.
Ours has a weekly youth club, sports clubs on a Saturday morning.
Also some sporting clubs such as rugby, football, tennis, badminton, squash, indoor/ outdoor bowling often have a junior sections she might try.
Anything to keep your daughter mixing and having fun would be good. Your school might have things like friendship groups at school or after school or lunchtime clubs to widen their social network. Hope it improves for your daughter, best of luck.

MrsOverTheRoad Thu 16-Nov-17 03:33:31

Speak to her form tutor and also find out what clubs they offer at school. It might help her to meet kids in other classes who share interests with her.

Paulajc Fri 17-Nov-17 10:54:16

Thanks for replies. I have found a youth reading/meeting group at the library she is going to try (even though shes dyslexic she loves reading)
I also asked her to be a bit more forward on the school bus and ask to sit with people she doesn't know rather than standing on her own and chat the other girls after the water polo training session (school based activity) she seems to be edging forward, she has mentioned a Lilly and an Amber this week!

Thanks everybody

niknac1 Fri 17-Nov-17 11:22:04

I suggested to my child swapping mobile tel no’s with some children, they can then text or what’s app. It’s not easy, sometimes I have to suggest how to be friendly eg phrases etc but your child may not need this but thought I would mention.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now