Talk

Advanced search

8 year old cursing at school

(12 Posts)
c00kiePants Thu 12-Oct-17 07:43:49

Sooo yeah that just happened. I had this talk so many times with him, still he is not listening, I know kids probably think they are so grown up using dirty words but we are having problems with the teachers about that. Anyone had similar problem? Need some advise.

Caulkheadupnorf Thu 12-Oct-17 07:50:34

Does he say it at home and how do you deal with it then?

NerrSnerr Thu 12-Oct-17 08:02:51

What kind of swear word are we taking? If it's fuck or similar I'd be strict. If crap or similar I'd just have a chat about who it's appropriate to say it in front of.

5had03 Fri 13-Oct-17 00:28:18

Who or what is he copying the words from?

c00kiePants Fri 13-Oct-17 06:33:09

Well it's a bit of both I heard him say "fuck" at home once while playing a game, at school it was something like "crap" but still, not acceptable. I guess he hears them on the Internet, watching "harmless" videos on games. I try to pay attention to what he watches but I can't be with him every minute of every day. For now I have taken away his tablet and we've talked a lot but I wanted to hear what other moms do.

haba Fri 13-Oct-17 06:38:29

Well, we model the behaviour we want to see, so absolutely no bad language from.me or DH. We explain that words have meanings, and have told him some of the meanings, but children are not to use those words as they're inappropriate.

haba Fri 13-Oct-17 06:39:47

And we don't allow any access to YouTube; only videos we have pre-watched and checked are ok. There are gamers that don't swear... but not many!!

MamaOfTwos Fri 13-Oct-17 06:53:34

At 8YO he is a child, not a preteen, and you sound lazy and lax in your approach to what he is exposed to online. Little acts of defiance like swearing at 8 set him up for much larger problems down the road. Be a parent and monitor his online videos!

BoneyBackJefferson Fri 13-Oct-17 07:10:33

kids probably think they are so grown up using dirty words but we are having problems with the teachers about that.

I read this as having problems with teachers telling off your child for swearing. Surely the problem is your son's language?

haba Fri 13-Oct-17 08:02:26

My children don't think using bad language is a grown-up thing, because they don't hear any grownups using bad language. You need to use parental controls on his tablet, and teach him about what is safe and what is acceptable for people his age.
You can change things, he's only 8, and it's a very daft age for.boys smile

c00kiePants Mon 16-Oct-17 06:41:24

Thank you all for your kind words. Anyway I thought I could find some help in here instead I heard only what I already know. Lazy? I am a single mom that works a minimum of 10 hours a day, but whatever. I am trying to be as available as possible, I know it's not enough still I am trying. I wanted some advice, he has parenting control on his tablet and I didn't say he learned all those words from there. I've heard other kids using them and in any case I don't think hearing the words is avoidable. I wanted to ask what other moms do when facing similar problem, but guess that's not happening. Cheers girls

eyebrowsonfleek Mon 16-Oct-17 11:02:43

Is he watching YouTube through the YouTube kids app? If not, you need to change that and explain that if he’s not mature enough not to swear then he’s not old enough for regular YouTube.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now