Talk

Advanced search

11 year old with stretch marks

(6 Posts)
Tex111 Wed 11-Oct-17 12:59:48

DD has developed very pronounced stretch marks on her hips, sides, thighs (inner and outer), back of her upper arms and even around her knees and the backs of her calves. She’s tall for her age, 5”8’, but hasn’t had a big growth spurt recently. The marks are very red and it doesn’t seem normal to me. DH and I have a few stretch marks but nothing like DD’s. Has anyone else experienced this? I thought about a trip to the GO but DD is very self conscious about them. I bought a cream for her when she first mentioned them but I don’t want to make it a bigger deal if it’s just normal.

daffodilbrain Thu 12-Oct-17 09:12:41

Watching as my ds 11 has them on his bottom.. they sound similar to your Dd - red and quite unsightly. I was told many years ago they are camping send through sudden increase/ decrease in weight. Not sure what to do as he’s so self
conscious. Empathising

TiramisuQueenoftheFaeries Thu 12-Oct-17 09:16:52

Normal during rapid growth and especially during puberty for girls. I got bitchslapped with the family hips when puberty arrived and still have old, faded stretch marks all over my hips, thighs, and arse.

I don't really think your GP can do anything for you. Get her some cocoa butter to put on them but otherwise encourage her not to be selfconscious about them. They will fade to faint lines but they can't be undone.

silkpyjamasallday Thu 12-Oct-17 10:23:25

I got stretch marks all over my hips and bum at around 10-11, they were angry red and purple coloured and I got very very upset about them. The change in my figure wasn't very noticeable but I had started getting more womanly hips, I think it is just part of puberty. DP also got them in his teens in the same places. I was very distressed at the time, but just over a decade later they are almost completely invisible, you can only see the white scars if I stretch the skin. Reassure your DD that they will fade, I've found using almond oil on my skin daily has helped fade my new ones from pregnancy, my DM never offered to get anything to help me with mine as a child so I think you are doing the right thing. No need to make an issue of it but if she wants to try some things to reduce their appearance I think you should let her. It's a difficult time with so many changes to your body and as a young person perhaps don't have the perspective to deal with it rationally.

Tex111 Thu 12-Oct-17 17:39:51

I’ve never seen anything like it. My brother, sister and I never had them and my DH says the same. The inside of DD’s thighs look like an elderly lady’s, the stretch marks have changed the texture of her skin. I read online that it can be a zinc deficiency so I bought her a vitamin C and zinc supplement ‘to help build her immunity for the winter’. She’s very self conscious as she recently started secondary and some girls have asked her about them wondering if she had a skin condition. She’s tall and not a small girl but not overweight. I now realise that DS has them on his back as well and he’s very slim.

lovely36 Sat 04-Nov-17 10:51:33

Aw I'm sorry this is happening to her. Unfortunately I believe it's quite common as teens are growing so rapidly in such a short amount of time. I got really really. As stretch marks all around my bum and thighs when I was about 12sad and I was extremely skinny and still am. Palmers stretch mark oil is really great though! If you put it on 3 times a day when the marks are still red they will go away!smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: