Boy like guns... Should I be concerned???

(11 Posts)
Busymummy50 Mon 02-Oct-17 10:39:38

My 10 year old loves playing shooting games. Now that he's older, he's not asking for lego sets, nerf guns or other toys he used to like for his birthday but made the comment "I would like to hold a real gun on my birthday".

Now this comment has really made me concerned. Previously he'd sometimes talk about guns, "guns are cool", "can people get guns in this country" "Can people bring guns from other countries where you can get guns". I've explained that in games, it is all fantasy and that in reality, we can't just get hold of guns and that we are not allowed to, in which he would reply "I know in games it's not real".

Should I be concerned? Or is it just a phrase that kids go through when they find certain things cool and it will pass??

Anyone had similar experiences?

OP’s posts: |
Phosphorus Mon 02-Oct-17 10:44:06

Lots of kids like guns.

The high point of lots of Cub and Scout camps for my children was air rifle shooting and archery.

Maybe there is a gun or shooting club with a junior section he could join.

hannah1992 Mon 02-Oct-17 10:54:32

Ahh boys toys. I know lots of my friends sons love guns. I second what op has said. Cubs are brill for things like that. Yes they are dangerous weapons BUT they are taught how to use them safely, what there purpose is, why it is dangerous to use them for anything other than their purpose.

I don't think you need to be concerned that he is going to become a murderer or anything. It's an interest of his and you should just be honest. Explain to him that when you're an adult yes you can own a gun, however, there are special licenses you have to pay for before you can own a gun and you need to know where you can use them and the safety.

I fee up with guns in the house. My dad loves guns, he had all different kinds. All of them were kept in locked cases and bullets for them in a locked safe. Tbh all except his air rifle were not used (he had about 10 different ones) they were purely just collectibles. His air rifle was used for clay pigeon shooting and things. He never went hunting or anything.

With the right education they're fine.

Disclaimer - my dad is a lovely man, not an axe murderer that goes round shooting folk 🤣

ScruffyLookingNerfHerder Mon 02-Oct-17 11:10:01

I took my DS to the local gun club for target practice (paper targets, not him)

It's quite a good thing to develop control and focus. You need to control your breathing, relax, have patience, deal with disappointment etc. Almost like yoga.

eyebrowsonfleek Mon 02-Oct-17 11:12:56

It’s a phase imo.
I’ve told mine that it’s illegal until he’s an adult so while he’d love a gun (air soft, B.B. etc) it isn’t going to happen for a few years at least.

ScruffyLookingNerfHerder Mon 02-Oct-17 11:52:12

... if you want to put him off see if there's a local gun club that has "black powder" guns - very loud, masses of smoke and stinky

Busymummy50 Mon 02-Oct-17 14:33:14

Thank you all for the information smile

Mayhemmumma Mon 02-Oct-17 14:35:43

Watch the news together today about Las Vegas. Guns are not fun they are terrifying. Open up some conversation about why they are not and should not be toys.

Busymummy50 Mon 02-Oct-17 15:48:28

There's mixed opinion and mayhemmumma, I understand the concern. At the same time hope it is just a phrase as some say

hunton1 Tue 03-Oct-17 17:03:33

An interest is to be expected given the exposure you seem to get through games and media/movies these days.

10 is likely a bit young for most sorts of shooting though it's on the boundary - it depends on how big/physically capable and emotionally mature he is, whether he can properly support a rifle or target air pistol. Scouts and Cubs do shooting (as well as archery), and there are lots of clubs around (www.nsra.co.uk - Club Finder), so if you're so inclined, go and get him a responsible introduction to firearms to teach him proper/safe handling and respect for them.

Bear in mind there are an estimated ~10million airguns in England and Wales. That's one for every two households! Obviously not every other household has airguns because clubs and collectors have more than one, but sooner or later he's going to come across an airgun at a friend's house, and it's best that he knows what is and isn't proper.

At worst he learns to be responsible with firearms (the same way you've taught him how to handle knives safely and not to play with fire). At best he gets the bug and goes to the Olympics/Commonwealth Games!

overmydeadbody Tue 03-Oct-17 17:09:22

Maybe he'd be interested in cadets when he's old enough to join (12 yrs I think)

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in