AIBU...10 year old now has American accent

(26 Posts)
LucyLugosi Tue 08-Aug-17 18:21:31

10 year old (going on 15) DSD has suddenly acquired an American accent and it makes me cringe so much!
I haven't said anything because I don't want her to feel self conscious, but I hate it! Her lovely voice sounds awful with this fake valley girl accent.

Anyone else had this? Did it just go away in time?

Am I crazy for thinking it sounds awful?

OP’s posts: |
BizzyFizzy Tue 08-Aug-17 18:24:22

2 of my kids have American accents. Better than Sarf London, though.

honeysucklejasmine Tue 08-Aug-17 18:26:07

I went through a phase of using American phrasing as a teenager. Too many episodes of Lizzie Maguire. It passed.

I'm now married to an American. 😂

Migraleve Tue 08-Aug-17 18:40:17

Why hasn't you said anything? I don't understand why she would feel self conscious about something she is putting on.

It's perfectly reasonable to say 'stop using the daft voice' to a 10yo confused

PelorusJack Tue 08-Aug-17 19:09:48

Has she American friends? That might make it a little better.
How about you and your DH start talking with Australian accent when her friends are around. grin That's actually a semi-serious suggestion.

SummerSazz Tue 08-Aug-17 19:12:11

My 10 year old loves American accents - asked an American in the hotel pool earlier this week to say 'frozen yoghurt (yowwwwgurt)' as she reckons its so cool. American lady was baffled lol.

Am ignoring too and hoping a phase (albeit she still wants to move to LA).

OddBoots Tue 08-Aug-17 19:13:46

My dd did this, we told her we were worried that we had let her watch far too much TV if this was happening so maybe we should switch the TV off for a few weeks to sort it out - she stopped right away.

That said, it worries me more when they add vocal fry to the accent as that can cause long term voice damage.

Cavender Tue 08-Aug-17 19:16:56

Erm, why haven't you said anything?

My kids don't have American accents and we live in the USA! grin

UtterlyFcked Tue 08-Aug-17 19:18:03

Oh God, no remedy except to either wait it out, or euthanise

MeUnreasonableOrHim Tue 08-Aug-17 19:23:15

WTF? I've heard it all now - you don't want to tell her to stop putting on a fake accent because you might damage her self esteem???

For goodness sake biscuit

MaisyPops Tue 08-Aug-17 19:26:24

Probably a phase.

When TOWIE/made in Chelsea first hit the TV a group of students picked up this bizare 'reality tv socialite' accent. They grew out of it thankfully because they sounded silly.

Ditsy1980 Tue 08-Aug-17 19:29:13

My DD uses an American accent when she's playing with her dolls, think she picked it up from YouTube videos.
Personally I'd just ignore it and not comment on it, she'll drop it as soon as it came

TheSecondOfHerName Tue 08-Aug-17 19:30:46

DD (13) went through a phase last year of saying everything with a rising inflection. She grew out of it.

Mychildcouldnotbreaatfeed Tue 08-Aug-17 19:31:22

They'll grow out of it.

LucyLugosi Tue 08-Aug-17 20:18:36

Thanks everyone! Regarding the self consciousness and why I haven't said anything - I think it's because I'm so self conscious about how my voice sounds I don't want her to feel like that. Also she is extremely shy so I don't want to do anything to put her off speaking even more.

In fact I'm wondering if the shyness might be something to do with it; she's putting on a persona who isn't afraid to speak? She isn't scared to speak at home though so I'm probably being too worried!

I am desperately hoping she will just grow out of it as it sounds so fake and awful.

I love the tv suggestion - may have to say she's starting to sound like the characters on the tv shows so we can't watch them anymore!

OP’s posts: |
Migraleve Tue 08-Aug-17 20:26:47

think it's because I'm so self conscious about how my voice sounds I don't want her to feel like that.

Assuming your voice is your natural accent I can't see how it's comparable.

Your 10yo child is putting on a shitty American accent. Just tell her to stop.

iMatter Tue 08-Aug-17 20:33:14

Everyone will take the piss when she goes back to school. She'll stop then.

Hulababy Tue 08-Aug-17 20:33:41

I wouldn't worry about it. Lots of children do this - kid's TV, films and You Tube normally the cause. Pretty much all seem to grow out of the phrase soon enough. Id just ignore.

Hulababy Tue 08-Aug-17 20:34:54

iMatter - I doubt they will, ime. Many of the others will have the fake accent too. Its often worse just after a holiday where children have been watching a bit more TV and videos than usual.

ilovemydogandMrObama Tue 08-Aug-17 20:36:51

I'm American, live in UK but kids have always had English accents, although they use, American words: sidewalk, trunk, gas etc...

LadyWithLapdog Tue 08-Aug-17 20:39:06

Is it Dance Moms? Mine went through a phase.

iMatter Tue 08-Aug-17 20:40:18

Hulababy - I'm surprised at that. My dc (boys, 12 and 11) want to fit in and wouldn't do anything to stand out. Their friends all talk the same and look the same, especially ds1's mates (finished Y7).

chowmeinchick Tue 08-Aug-17 20:44:36

Please tell her to stop. If she goes back to school with a put on accent she will, probably, unfortunately get bullied. I'd rather hear it from my mum then get the piss taken out of by friends.

Alancarr Tue 08-Aug-17 21:33:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hulababy Tue 08-Aug-17 22:20:37

To be fair iMatter - I work with younger children - usually 6/7 year olds but a few of these have the fake US accent, and I know some a little older - but still primary who do too. It is normally only a phase though. And lots of them do it whilst together as it is how people talk on the US children's channels and YouTube channels that they watch. My godson did it for a while a year or so ago, but it has gone now.

I don't think they really notice themselves though - they are just repeating words and phrases, and accent innovation, that they are hearing on TV and pick it up. It is normally only a phase though. IME.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in