Talk

Advanced search

8 to 10 year olds: Behavior or mood changes? RESEARCH

(9 Posts)
Kaye007 Tue 18-Apr-17 22:42:32

Hello fellow parents,
I am conducting research for a journalism class assignment and would appreciate your responses to the following questions.

1.Have you noticed behavioral and/or mood swings in your 8- to 10-year-old? (i.e., your once sweet-nature girl is suddenly crying for no reason and then in the next minute “back to normal”, etc.)
2.When did you start noticing these changes?
3.To what do you attribute these changes?
4.Is this a subject you have discussed with your child’s paediatrician?

Thank you in advance,
Kassandra

Dozer Tue 18-Apr-17 22:47:07

There's a separate board for research Qs.

Most UK MNetters don't have access to paediatricians, unless DC have a long term health condition for example.

SunnySomer Tue 18-Apr-17 22:47:28

Hello
1) yes
2) from age 9
3) onset of puberty (there is physical evidence)
4) no. We have a GP, not a pediatrician; I have no idea what a medic could do about puberty anyway; why medicalise normal change? I have talked to my child about mood swings (which are frightening to happen), and so far all is ok.

MelinaMercury Tue 18-Apr-17 22:50:14

1. Yes. My 10yo son was previously quiet and easy going in nature but has since developed an attitude and always has to have the last word!

2. When he was around 7.

3. Bullying, lack of confidence and feeling helpless.

4. Yes. She mentioned a hormone change which happens in boys around this age.

Movingin2017 Tue 18-Apr-17 22:53:16

Yes
Hormones
No - no paediatrician - I only take my child to the GP if they are unwell
Assume you are American OP as this isn't a question that is relevant to the vast majority of English children

MelinaMercury Tue 18-Apr-17 22:57:45

Upon reading replies i should add that i didn't speak with a paediatrician surgically about this, my son has other issues and i had mentioned it in connection with these at a doctor's appointment.

MelinaMercury Tue 18-Apr-17 22:58:15

*specifically not surgically!

pinkoneblueone Tue 18-Apr-17 23:02:31

Yes
Both aged 8
I noticed it more in my 2nd child earlier on. Other children started to bully them and be mean at this age.
I have not discussed with a doctor as I presumed it was perfectly normal

Kaye007 Wed 19-Apr-17 19:21:06

Thank you all! I apologize as new to this site -- I was searching if others have pre-teens with changing moods! :-) - and didn't realize there is a separate board for research. That said - thank you for your insight/sharing! And for info on GP vs. paediatricians.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now