Talk

Advanced search

Spots - natural or hardcore?

(5 Posts)
cakedup Thu 06-Apr-17 22:37:13

DS has just turned 12, and has started to get a few spots on his foreheads and nose.

The products targeted for teens like Clearasil seem a bit harsh to me. So I was thinking to go a more natural route, maybe some tea tree stuff from Body shop.

Or am I just going to find that the gentler stuff won't work and actually just better to go for the Clearasil type products?

knackeredinyorkshire Thu 06-Apr-17 22:47:24

We've used the Cetaphil wash and moisturiser and it's gentle and very effective.

www.amazon.co.uk/Cetaphil-Gentle-Skin-Cleanser-473/dp/B009W2G13W/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1491515033&sr=8-1&keywords=cetaphil&tag=mumsnetforum-21

They do a cream/gel called that's brilliant for spots. Clearasil etc are bollocks - they dry out the skin and cause more spots in the long term. Also really important to wash 2x per day using a clean face cloth each time, dry on a clean towel that isn't used for anything else and then apply the moisturiser. Change pillow cases regularly (2x per week if poss). Steam rooms or a facial steamer are great now and then too.

knackeredinyorkshire Thu 06-Apr-17 22:47:49

*called acnecide

cakedup Thu 06-Apr-17 23:02:47

knackeredinyorkshire thank you, some great advice!

I really liked the look of the Cetaphil but unfortunately I won't buy it as it's tested on animals. However, I found a list of alternatives to cult beauty buys which listed Cetaphil, and Sebamed was recommended. It looks very similar to Cetaphil so am going to order some of that!

Yes I agree, the Clearasil type products seem way too harsh. Especially as DS' skin is quite sensitive.

Aquamarine1029 Mon 17-Apr-17 03:34:12

I think you need to be very careful with his diet. The biggest cause of acne is eating and drinking too much sugar - it's dreadful for our skin. Is he drinking soda and eating too many sugars like sweets and crisps?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now