Talk

Advanced search

Yet another row with dd about her manners :-(

(9 Posts)
Dancergirl Wed 05-Apr-17 19:06:06

I'm so down about my youngest dd (aged 10), I just don't know where I've gone wrong. She is just so rude and spoilt sometimes.

Today - she came out of school and said (light-heartedly) - 'if you make me do such-and-such I'll kill you'. I know it wasn't meant seriously but it got to me. I picked her up on it straight away and she said sorry, she didn't mean it that way.

This evening I was making dinner, just me and her tonight as older two were out and dh not home yet. I asked her to do a simple task - to bring my water glass into the kitchen. I hear her faffing around, I ask her again to which she replies 'why can't you do it?' shock sad I told her off and she did bring the glass in but I am so disappointed with her attitude.

I do pick her up each time she's rude and put a sanction in if necessary - loss of tv/kindle etc. She does care about the punishment (she moans about it enough) but it's having no long term effect. She's still bloody rude. What do I do?

Booboostwo Wed 05-Apr-17 20:52:01

To be honest that all sounds quite normal...unpleasant but normal.

The stuff she just blurts out and doesn't mean seriously I would ignore like the comment to kill you. The other rude comments I would pick up on but not make a huge deal out of, e.g. "Yes I can do it myself, but I asked for your help, in a family we help each other. Hop to it now please." I would reserve punishments for more serious offences!

Dancergirl Thu 06-Apr-17 09:08:51

Normal really?? I see lots of other children of the same age being pleasant and polite, that's not too much to ask for is it?

OddBoots Thu 06-Apr-17 09:10:56

Just keep pulling her up on it. It does sound normal to me, as does seeing other children behaving well, it's when they are behind closed doors with those they trust that they feel safe enough to push the boundaries.

Booboostwo Thu 06-Apr-17 12:41:37

My DD is the sweetest, most helpful, delightful child...in front of others! She is a little horror at home. She told me she would kill me with the fork today because I was annoying her (nearly 6yo).

SweetGrapes Thu 06-Apr-17 12:46:16

I agree it's normal. Ds 10 is all helpful sweetness outside. At home it's all mono syllable answers and 'why can't you do it?'. I just take it at face value and explain why. Or ask if he wants to swap chores with me.
He has started doing the washing machine though and is excited to be doing a proper grownup job!

NoraLouca Thu 06-Apr-17 12:48:58

DD1 (10) is like this, DD2 (9) much less so but does have her moments. I think you just need to keep calmly pulling them up on it and making them apologize. Neither of them would dream of being rude if anyone else could hear them, they save it all for me! DD1 has actually improved over the last few months, one thing that helped with general grumpiness was an earlier bedtime and making sure she gets enough fresh air.

Dancergirl Thu 06-Apr-17 12:56:33

Thank you, to be fair, she is very well mannered at school and other places so I suppose that's something!

ClemDanfango Thu 06-Apr-17 13:25:02

My 9 year old DS is a star pupil in terms of behaviour at school, my friends and family tell me all time what a polite and considerate child he is and how he's a credit to me. Yesterday I asked him not to slam doors because he might wake his baby sister, "sorry mum" he said, as I turned the corner I caught him pulling faces and sticking his fingers up at me!
Yeah not such a delight after all, it's normal rebellious behaviour, as long as you're consistent with pulling her up don't worry too much. My DS found himself vacuuming the living room and cleaning out the poopy cat tray last night much to his chagrin grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now