Talk

Advanced search

8yo being teased about body hair

(10 Posts)
CuppaTeaAndAJammieDodger Fri 24-Mar-17 14:41:49

My 8yo DD (Y4) has been somewhat upset recently due to teasing at school about her having a "moustache" and "hairy legs". She is half Brazilian, half English and has very dark hair and light olive skin.

Obviously, I've been consoling her, talking to her about differences in everyone's bodies, how it is perfectly natural and reassuring her that she is utterly beautiful just the way she is - as well as (my version of) the old adage of beauty only being skin deep.

This has been going on for a few months now and, although I like to think of myself as a pretty liberal feminist, I can't ignore her desire to disguise or get rid of it (she has been threatening to hunt down DH's razor and take care of matters herself). I'm inclined to look into hair lightening or removal - for her upper lip hair at least, but am not sure of the implications of this on her (very young) skin - of course, if it were to cause her any damage I would bin the idea until she's older.

Does anyone have any advice/experience/pearls of wisdom they can impart on me?

CuppaTeaAndAJammieDodger Fri 24-Mar-17 14:45:52

N.B: I will be having a word with the teacher, maybe to have a word during PHSE lessons.

CuppaTeaAndAJammieDodger Fri 24-Mar-17 20:02:06

Shameless bump

LevantineHummus Fri 24-Mar-17 20:15:54

I don't have any advice, but definitely raise this with the school. It's totally unacceptable. If it's been going on for 4 months (did I read that right?!) it's bullying, not teasing.

My kids are younger, but I'd want a meeting with the school about this because it's been going on for a while and they haven't picked up on it, they need to be aware..and know that it's serious and you're taking it seriously.

LevantineHummus Fri 24-Mar-17 20:17:36

Sorry just seen "few" not " four", but it's still not just a few days, which was what I initially expected it to be.

CuppaTeaAndAJammieDodger Sat 25-Mar-17 13:43:22

No worries LevantineHummus, was about 2-3 months - although I didn't find out about it until very recently.

LevantineHummus Sat 25-Mar-17 19:31:13

Poor girl. It's just horrible. I hope the school take it seriously - because it is!

ecuse Sat 25-Mar-17 19:43:45

Oh, poor thing. I'm not sure what I'd do in your situation. I think I'd be inclined to address the upper lip if she wants to, but I'm not sure what the right method would be. Probably threading? I'm also a bit of a strident feminist but, I have to say, I don't have the confidence to go 'out and proud' with my 'tache and chin bristles, so it seems a bit much to expect a little girl to.

But, yes, I'd be having a word with the school too.

WillyWonkasChocolate Tue 25-Apr-17 21:18:52

I suffered from this at school too and my back was a little hairy too due to hormones. I would always wear high back tops and wear my hair down making sure it always covered my face.
I initially used to bleach the facial hairs but probably like your DD it was quite obvious.
I would definitely talk to teachers but also hide razors as I did this too blush
Knowing what I do now I was really unhappy and wished my mum had helped me. I would never stand too close to anyone and it really knocked my confidence.
I would go to a reputable place just to have a chat. Try a sk:n. I reckon most probably wouldn't treat an 8yo.
I would probably look into something like the Philips Lumea to see if was suitable i.e. skin colour as many are not once you are past a certain shade. It will be expensive but cheaper than going somewhere and you can always used it on and off. The other thing you could do is go see your GP. I've not tried it but there's a cream on prescription called Vaniqa. It reduces the hair growth but it isn't a permanent solution. When you stop using it the hair grows back but I suppose you could use it till she's in her mid teens and then look into a more permanent solution. I think you will have to stress the mental impact when you see the doctor.
ANOTHER option (you can see I've researched this) which again I haven't used so would research is a beauty product called Inhibitif available from Victoria Health.
She could have it threaded which would give an immediate effect but it may be very painful. Discuss this with her.
Hope that helps

WillyWonkasChocolate Tue 25-Apr-17 21:21:21

Some say the threading over time reduces it btw.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now