Talk

Advanced search

dd10 very anxious about..everything!!

(6 Posts)
misblink Tue 24-Jan-17 10:45:21

For the last year or so, dd10 has started to be very anxious about various things. Prior to this she was an extremely robust and confident child. She is a very good swimmer and has been competing a lot which she loves/used to love! Recently she's been getting terribly anxious before competitions and last week she had what seemed like a panic attack, crying hysterically, refusing to take part. I was all ready to take her home but her coach spoke to her very reassuringly and she went in, did well and then seemed very happy and relaxed.

She cannot watch films where anyone is distressed, Finding Dory made her actually cry (when Dory lost her parents). She says she feels very upset when she sees 'old people in the supermarket on their own' - we saw an old man on his own yesterday, he was quite infirm looking and dd was really upset by it. She hates seeing children who are upset, old people, people who 'look sad'. All of these people make her frown and say how worried for them she is. II've realised that she doesn't laugh as much as she did, she looks pinched and worried most of the time :-( She is in year 6 and they have SATS which on the face of it she doesn't seem too worried about although she has said she 'makes stupid mistakes and gets nervous'.

Writing this down it doesn't seem too bad but she just seems so worried all the time. She's qualified for two big competitions which she says that she wants to do but I am definitely going to scratch from one (much to the swim clubs annoyance I'm sure) and not sure what to do about the other one.

She used to be such a happy go lucky, robust child.I can't think of anything that's changed at home at all. She has older siblings who she gets on pretty well with.

Any advice welcome!

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 24-Jan-17 17:47:04

Poor girl. Has anything else happened, like the death of someone she knows?

Chaotica Tue 24-Jan-17 17:50:12

Do you have my DD? I could have written your post. (Although my DD is less concerned about the plight of others and more 'the entire world'.) I don't have any answers, but watching with interest...

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 24-Jan-17 18:54:05

It might be worth asking MNHQ to move your post to preteens. You might get a few more responses smile

Darthvadersmuuuum Tue 24-Jan-17 19:05:26

She sounds very empathic and lovely. Y6 is very stressful. Then there's the hormones...
Not very helpful, sorry

misblink Tue 24-Jan-17 19:25:54

Thank you I will ask them to move it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now