Talk

Advanced search

First menses

(13 Posts)
Dianapengie Sat 07-Jan-17 22:55:12

My 10 year old dsd is growing up and I want to put together a box or bag for her just in case she starts her period when she's with us. Thing is I use a menstrual cup and don't know what to put in the bag, what type of pads/liners or extras do I get to help her.

FannyCradock Sat 07-Jan-17 22:58:59

Lil lets do a teen range, checkout their website.

Lweji Sat 07-Jan-17 23:01:38

Start with normal pads, the thin type, and maybe some with wings, just in case.
Maybe some long, night time pads so that she's safe at night. And some paracetamol, in case it's painful. Mine were from the start.

MoreBushThanMoss Sat 07-Jan-17 23:02:19

A selection of pads in different "flows" - you can buy an always box with all absorbancies.... A bit like a cereal multipack!

Do you want to talk about tampons with her? If so, maybe easy applicator tampons? Tampax pearl are easy to use.

Maybe nappy sacks for her used pads if she uses a family bathroom?

Maybe wipes - not necessary but just in case she has very heavy flow?

Sensible period knickers!

Then maybe extras that time and experience tell us we might need...
Like a Hot water bottle? Essential oils for pulse points? She's probably too young for unfettered access to paracetamol, but maybe tell her she's welcome to ask you for it?

seven201 Sat 07-Jan-17 23:03:28

How about getting her a small make-up bag, putting some winged sanitary towels and some pain killers in it? I remember being hugely worried about people 'knowing'! Obviously your dd might not be. In year 7 (I think) she'll be given a talk and some 'freebies'. How about also giving her a book that explains what periods are etc?

OliviaBonas Sat 07-Jan-17 23:04:32

Diary doll pants

seven201 Sat 07-Jan-17 23:04:48

Oh yes great idea about black knickers! Also yes to the night time pads.

Mummatron3000 Sat 07-Jan-17 23:07:38

Some chocolate? Sometimes a wee bit of chocolate when you have your period is needed!

SingaSong12 Sat 07-Jan-17 23:11:23

That seems a really nice thing to do.
If possible could you/OH discuss with the other (female) adults what products so at least initially the same things are available wherever she is staying (before she has her own preferences).

SpartacusWoman Sat 07-Jan-17 23:30:24

I bought a little kawaii fabric square pouch thing for dd, its was 99p on eBay and there's loads and loads of designs to choose from. Dd loves hers because while she knows it's nothing to be embarassed about, she feels a little more confident having something discreet to keep everything she needs in her school bag or coat pocket.

Its big enough to hold several sanitary towels and/or tampons, spare knickers, nappy bag, a couple of paracetamol and wipes if needed. I know you get free tins with some brands but they always seem to have the logo in them so it defeats the object of not making it known sanitary protection is in it. Plus, you can usually only fit two pads at most in them whereas with the fabric one its a good few inches deep.

I was given some period knickers to review a few months ago, I love them, wish they were around when I was a teen, I'm a moon up user but still learning so have leakage sometimes, the proper period knickers stop any leakage going onto my clothing meaning I don't have to wear a pad as well as a cup.

I've just dug DDs bag pouch thing and attached a photo (I hope.)

Dianapengie Sun 08-Jan-17 00:02:48

Thanks for the replies. I'll have a look on eBay for a funky bag and savers tomorrow at their range of teen pads and liners, and get some black undies to go in the bag.

I don't know exactly when it will start as I don't know when her mum started. My aunt did the same thing for me when I was her age, a just in case thing but it feels nice to pay it forward.

WhoKn0wsWhereTheTimeG0es Sun 08-Jan-17 00:11:21

My DD didn't like the pink make-up bag we started her with for her school bag as the girls are always opening their bags up in front of one another and she said someone asked her why she had two pencil cases, so we switched to a black one which stays hidden much better in her dark school bag. She uses the Lil-lets teen range from Boots, plus the little sacks and a tiny pack of wipes. Haven't had much luck finding black or dark knickers though.

angieloumc Thu 02-Feb-17 19:03:11

As regards the black knickers, M&S do a give pack of girls cotton shirts; 3 black, 2 grey marl. Very useful I find for my 12 yr old DD.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now