Advice on preteen sanpro for heavy flow

(8 Posts)
Bolloxonabike Thu 25-Aug-16 01:09:06

Just that really - DD is in the throes of her 2nd period, aged 10, and it's really quite heavy. She has the Lil-lets teen range towels but is flooding them every two hours or so (alarms set overnight to change) but, because she is so small, average age 9 knickers, heavier flow pads are too big for her. They kind of wrap round the outside of her pants and so the blood ends up outside rather than in iyswim. Been a very long time since I was anything resembling small, and the trial and error is upsetting her as she keeps leaking. Fortunately she isn't remotely modest so we are all mucking in together but I'm out of ideas. We are both reluctant to try tampons this soon, she really isn't a very grown up 10 year old, but I feel this may be the only solution? Any advice gratefully received x

sallysparrow157 Thu 25-Aug-16 01:34:58

Would knickers like these www.marksandspencer.com/3-pair-pack-santoni-seamfree-striped-shorts-6-16-years-/p/p22474379?image=SD_04_T71_4237_P4_X_EC_0&color=ORANGEMIX&prevPage=plp&pdpredirect help keep a bigger pad in place, particularly overnight?

GiddyOnZackHunt Thu 25-Aug-16 01:41:39

No advice but just want to pat you on the back for taking it seriously. My poor dm had awful periods from the word go and her mother gave it no credence. When I started my periods my dm was gobsmacked at normal.
Given she's so young and they're so bad, could you discuss it with the GP?

Bolloxonabike Thu 25-Aug-16 01:51:25

The shorts would definitely help overnight - thanks - may not be as successful when she's upright however. On the shopping list!
And Giddy, thanks, I feel for her and her imminent return to school. If the next one is like this I will have a chat with the GP cause as kids they just don't have the same say over their movements as adults do, mostly. She had a lovely teacher last year who was very supportive so hopefully new year 6 teacher will also.

OrsonWellsHat Thu 25-Aug-16 01:55:40

I use teena ladies (or shops own equivalent) for heavy flow as they are much more absorbent that sanitary towels. They come individually wrapped so very discreet.

joangray38 Thu 25-Aug-16 02:06:41

Have you tried diary doll pants? Start at xs - 6 or looked for period pants aimed at Japanese market (smaller women) Amazon / evay I have both of these and they really help

Bolloxonabike Thu 25-Aug-16 11:06:52

Thanks - will try Tena lady or equivalent - didn't occur to me! Also, every day's a learning day! I had never heard of period pants but have now looked into them and they sound like a great reassurance, especially when out and about. Thanks everyone.

dancemom Sun 28-Aug-16 11:09:36

Dd has this problem of night leaking when she first started. We also layered shorts over pants, bought teen specific sanitary wear for a better fit and on occasions even wore pyjama pants under tight fitting shorts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now