First bra

(17 Posts)
CallMeColin Sat 21-May-16 15:45:25

DD is 11 and has been wearing crop tops. I think she is ready for first bra. Do you need to get them properly fitted at this size or just try on and guess? Can't remember what I did (blocked out mortified memory I think).

PerspicaciaTick Sat 21-May-16 15:48:35

DD wouldn't let me get her fitted. We went to a large M&S and she tried on a million and one bras to find the best fit. It was quite a fun afternoon and involved a visit to the cafe to recover.

CallMeColin Sat 21-May-16 15:49:58

Yes I have a feeling DD won't want a stranger fitting her. Might look up how to measure...

Goingtobeawesome Sat 21-May-16 15:52:47

There's no way in heaven that my DD will allow anyone to see her with just a bra on, or touch her, so I'm dreading when her crop tops no longer suffice.

CallMeColin Sat 21-May-16 15:54:50

Yes can't blame them, being fitted is on my least favourite things to do, up there with smear tests really.

YoGatoradeMeBitch Sat 21-May-16 16:01:50

I took DD to Debenhams last year and tried on a few of the non-wired styles until we found a good fit. I agree, don't bother with a fitting. You'll both know what works.

YoGatoradeMeBitch Sat 21-May-16 16:06:45

These are the ones DD has and she says they are very comfortable.

m.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_152010604605_-1

I'm sorry not sure how to make it clicky... fingers crossed.

SalmonMaki Sat 21-May-16 16:09:41

Just done this with my DD, we went to John Lewis and she had a fitting. She kept her crop top on at first and didn't have to get naked with the fitter. Both the fitter and I checked out the fit (DD wasn't sure what to expect, how a bra should fit so wanted my opinion).

Follow a guide at home to get her size and try on loads to be confident of a good fit, otherwise bite the bullet and go for a fitting (cafe treat sounds like a good bribe!)

John Lewis have a small range of lightly padded non-wired bras that go down to a 28 band (DD is quite slight). I haven't found a non-wired 28D in any other shop yet.

Anyone know where I can get a white sports crop top for a size 28D or Small? John Lewis had a grey one, but DD doesn't want to wear a coloured one under her school white PE top.

KatharinaRosalie Sat 21-May-16 16:13:45

SalmonMaki, shock absorber run is a very good supportive bra. It starts with 30 but it runs small - I normally wear a 30 back but need 34 in this. So the 30 should work just nicely for your daughter. Comes in white.

SalmonMaki Sat 21-May-16 16:20:08

Katharina Shock absorber, of course! (Doh me!) You're absolutely right of course, they do come up small (mine certainly do). Thank you, I'm off to online shop for her now... Yet another joy of motherhood hmm

SalmonMaki Sat 21-May-16 16:25:11

Oh, just found these sports bras which are slightly cheaper than Shock Absorbers and may be useful to other first bra buyers.

AllPowerfulLizardPerson Sat 21-May-16 16:30:45

Can anyone recommend a range of teen bras which include a 26 inch band?

poorbuthappy Sat 21-May-16 17:14:24

Matalan is also very good.

luluskiptotheloo Mon 23-May-16 16:05:46

Royce lingerie have a range called Missy, for young girls. My DD likes the first sports bras they sell.

AllPowerfulLizardPerson Mon 23-May-16 16:53:47

I've just had a look at the Missy range, but the smallest band they do is 30.

At the moment, I'm stitching tucks into a 28 band to make it small enough (otherwise the bra would actually rotate round her ribcage).

Surely I can't be the only one with a DD with distinct boobs but still 25/26 in the back?

<sorry if this is a bit close to a hijack, CallMeColin but I hope any answer to narrow band bras will also be useful to you. Have you measured your DD's ribcage?>

luluskiptotheloo Mon 23-May-16 19:48:21

The bra called coral daisy and the cupcake one in the missy range both come in a 28.
Hth

CallMeColin Tue 24-May-16 11:10:10

Thanks all,
I found some bras (hybrid type things) in M&Co kids this morning. They are by age instead of measurement and hopefully will do until she needs a proper bra.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now